Apple ipads (again)

Hmmm Do you get to see ads for compare the meerkat.com across the pond?

John

Reply to
JTM

I'm not sure about that.

Didn't

I thought that related to the speed they showed and missing out stages in the process. If teh UK don;t adopt the US standard is that Apples fault.

Whichy devices wiork with the UK 4G, I saw them testing it with a macbook think it was the gadget show.

"It's significant that Apple has adopted LTE because LTE has arguably become the favourite in the race to standardise a 4G system"

As long as we don;t have to drive on the wrong side of the road to use it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No... did someone steal another one of my brilliant ideas before I'd even thought of it? :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Shame none of them are based on UNIX.

neither BSD or Linux are UNIX only UNIX like.

BSD is the one that has been about longest with Linux being a relative newcomer, especially the version Android uses.

Reply to
dennis

the favourite in the race to standardise a 4G system"

At the time the iPad "3" was introduced with 4G, it supported 700MHz and

2100MHz, at that point EE hadn't announced their 1800MHz LTE and the auction for 800MHz and 2600MHz won't be happening for a few months yet, so they'll have to introduce a new model to support LTE in the UK.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Such a minor technicality(!) didn't stop them advertising it as 4G though. If they can do that what else is wrong in their advertising?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Doctor Drivel" wrote: [snip]

and what is iOS based on Drivel?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bill Taylor wrote: [snip]

Oh for $DEITY's sake. When Microsoft upgrade their OS, on the same hardware, users find they are forced to buy new printers, scanners etc. Your beef is now, apparently, not that it is hard to set up iOS but that iOS doesn't support the latest print features with some shonky old printer that you're too mean to replace. Or font have the skills to configure to work with Linux or can't be arsed to download an app for your Mac or do whatever it is that WindowsPervs(tm) have to do.

I don't understand an attitude that says that all makers are obligated to support antique legacy systems that may well, by now, have only a tiny use base.

Hang on, iOS doesn't support my Laserjet 4MP+. That means Apple are complete and utter bastards.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Untrue, most users do not need new peripherals. sometimes the manufacturer decides not to provide a driver and M$ don't do their own. This is rare.

Bad choice, there are many old Laserjets still in use.

Reply to
dennis

For an intelligent person you do seem to have an amazing ability to completely misinterpret what has been written and then go off on an irrelevant, insulting rant.

Reply to
Bill Taylor

En el artículo , D.M.Chapman escribió:

Just about. Many new iOS6 features don't work on the 3GS.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That means is not intelligent. I figured that out years ago.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I know that. Many here are putting across that Android, with over 400 million uses, was some form of crap Microsoft type of product. It is not.

The Nexus 7 by far is the best tablet around in price/performance/quality/portability. It only can use Wi-Fi, and not the cellular wireless system, which many regard as a downer, but most do not as a smart phone can give them what they want on the move. The Nexus 7 can also be thethered to a Smart phone so not much of a problem really.

Apple's I-pad is 10", not 7". The i-pad competes with mainly laptops. Many found it too big to carry about and went for the smaller Samsung models. Apple realise this and are making a 7" model.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The Nexus 7 has Chrome as standard.

Although Ansus make the Nexus 7, its own brand tablet is a poorer product than the Nexus 7.

The Nexus 7 has upped the yardstick.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Like what?

Galaxy S2 will be upgradeable to Jelly Bean.

But the Nexus 7 is half the price and less, depending on model, and competes directly with the i-Pad on quality, functionality, etc.

Android is an open OS so many makers can use it make products from cheap and nasty to high quality. Apple, a great company, are vertically integrated in hardware and software. The company near went under at one point as it would not licence it technology to others and PC's and appalling Windows swept the market. They made some niche products and survived. The i-phone catapulted them to stardom.

Apple was able to claw themselves back because of the flakeiness of Windows, offer an expensive but stable and reliable product which many appreciated. But the opposition now is UNIX based android, not the appalling Windows. Android is a stable well thought out OS which improves by the month and is and OPEN OS used by many makers, which does drive down prices.

To imply that only Apple make quality, as was the case vs. Windows, is gross ignorance of the current Smart Phone/tablet market. Android is even to be ported to powerful laptops - I hope with the switchable option of keyboard or touch screen. I hate laptop's flat condensed keyboards.

So, you can have an android Smart Phone, tablet and home laptop, with the same look and feel, running similar or the same apps and all seamlessly compatible. It is only time that a powerful Android PC will have a detachable screen that can be touch or keyboard run.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

urrently an iMac, a Macbook=20 Pro and an iPhone) but every few years when I change I look at the alternat= ives as everyone says Apple=20 is too expensive. Trouble is, by the time you have factored in the feature= s and the quality of build,=20 together with the quality of service (those few problems I have encountered= over the years have been=20 dealt with efficiently under warranties by Apple), you quickly find the com= petition is no cheaper. =20 I don't find that the Apple lock in restricts me from doing anything. It d= oes have the advantage that=20 devices work well together and don't get virus-ridden when you go near the = interweb (although I think=20 that's more about it being a minority system as any epidemiologist would kn= ow).

There has always been a bit of an anti-Apple thing amongst our IT support p= eople at work but one of=20 them said to me a while ago that this was more about them being concerned t= hat they wouldn't be=20 needed as much if everyone used Apple than any real problems with the platf= orm.

The one thing I don't understand though, is why people get so worked up abo= ut all this: If people want=20 one device over another, well let them buy it. If it does what they want, = whatever their criteria (which=20 may include appearance etc), then fine. As we know, whatever you buy today= will be obsolete in a year=20 or two, except of course that it will still do whatever it does today, just= not the new things.

Reply to
GMM

A point is...If you starting from scratch, is it Apple or Android? It then become difficult to justify Apple.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If you want to use an unofficial rom yes, officially I reckon not a chance! My S3 hasn't even been officially upgraded yet, even though "official" roms have been leaked.

Lee

Yeah I know can't be bothered to find a thesaurus ;)

Reply to
Lee

Like I said, you choose whatever does what you want and that's up to the individual who's spending the money, who doesn't have to justify anything !

Reply to
GMM

They all do the same thing. If you already have a an i-phone, and i-Mac , etc then it may be worth still being locked into Apple, otherwise I would ditch Apple as they are proprietary products. Currently they offer no more that the opposition and "cost".

Reply to
Doctor Drivel