Anyone using bulk chemicals in the garden, or house?

I used to buy boxed 4-in-1 lawn feed for about a tenner a go. I don't have many weeds, so it was mainly for killing moss. Then I discovered you can get a lifetime's (or at least a good few years') supply of ferrous sulphate for a few quid, and kill the moss very effectively with that.

Being slightly excited with this discovery, I was just wondering if anyone knows of any other chemicals that can be used around the garden/house, to replace other commercial products? I got some soda crystals to clean the washing machine with, and they seen to do a pretty good job of cleaning clothes, too.

Reply to
Dis Manibus

If you go to a farmers market/supplier, you can get all sorts of stuff in bulk from fertilizers to (selective) weed killers. A lot of tools and other equipment can be got there cheaply too.

Reply to
harry

Copper sulphate (bluestone) in solution is used as a fungicide for timber treatment, while borax makes an effective insect killer/deterrent for the same end. Not resistant to being leached out though, so not for outdoor timber. I've treated all my workshop internal timber with this mix. I'll use old engine oil and kersone/diesel for the outdoor stuff.

Borax, along with your washing soda and grated laundry soap can make a very effective and cheap washing gel for use in your washing machine. It has no whiteners or bleaches in it, so some don't like it for that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I have about half left of a 600kg bag of 20:10:10 NPK fertiliser. Some of which may end up on my lawn.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have in the past bought in bulk from farm suppliers but found I ended up with a lot of waste. Lots of the powders don't keep very well. Then as well the half bags get lost in the back of the shed :-(

Reply to
fred

Thanks, I'll try it. I already use some of my engine oil on the fence posts. Not a lot - just a bit around the base of the posts, and at the ends of each piece of wood. I also stick it on some exposed metal bits of the car that look like they're going rusty. I'm obviously not going to paint it over the whole underside, though, because it smells awfully, and it doesn't look it needs it anyway.

Reply to
Dis Manibus

Yes. Very educational: farming. You learn about hygroscopic and deliquescent chemicals. Prilled fertiliser is OK if you keep the moisture away but the blends settle to concrete. One trick is to drop the bag onto a concrete floor or perhaps a railway sleeper:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thanks for the suggestions. I see that there are some suggestions out there for making lawn feed out of beer and ammonia. I'm loath to pour perfectly good beer on my lawn, but the ammonia (diluted) thing sounds like it may be worth a try.

Reply to
Dis Manibus

Depends whether you want to kill your lawn or not. Diluted sufficiently I suppose it will do no harm and no good. Nitrogen needs to be applied as a neutral ammonium salt or urea if you want it to benefit plants.

Too much in one place is bad as dog pee marks will clearly demonstrate.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Drink it first :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

pee works as well

Reply to
meow2222

So, it sounds like ammonia is out, but used beer is okay?

Reply to
Dis Manibus

Only after it has been passed by the management.

Fresh beer would be horribly sticky when it dries.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Sprinkle it with whiskey. It'll grow half cut.

Reply to
fred