Anyone used Pointmaster pointing tool-like a giant syringe?

Has anyone any experience of using the Pointmaster pointing tool - it's a giant plastic syringe in to which you put mortar and then use it so squirt the mortar into the gaps between your bricks or pavinging stones etc?

The video on their website makes it look quite impressive.

Having done a bit of pointing the old fashioned way and found it slow and messy I think I might give it a try

Reply to
stainburn

That looks a lot more promising than the cartridge gun type I tried (and sent back)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Get a piping bag and try that.

Reply to
mogga

Waste of time imho. I bought a Durgun pointing tool and managed to break it after a few goes. The consistency of the mortar is vital because if it dries out as it goes through the nozzle then your stuffed. I think thats how I managed to break the handle off as was a bit too brutish.

Its easier to point using a plasterers hawk and divvy mortar into small strips with a small trowel.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling

These tools work really well if you get the correct mortar consistency. Getting the correct mortar consistency is the tricky bit and will require some trial and error.

mark

Reply to
mark

wrote

ISTR that this sort of thing was used on one of the Grand Designs shows. But from memory I think it was lime mortar in that case - maybe that stuff is more fluid (compared to cement based) and better suited to this method of application

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

My understanding its that this device is more successful than previous types because it works at a relatively low pressure and so the water doesn't all get squeezed out of the mortar. They recommend that you use mortar platiciser too.

Reply to
stainburn