Anyone used GX53 lamps?

And I mean GX53, sometimes known as disk lights, not GX5.3

I'm wondering about using these, in a new build, instead of GU10 or MR16 type fittings. They're available as CFLs 7w to 13w, and some LEDs also. The fittings are surface or recessed.

The surface mount saves holes in the ceiling, and they don't hang down like pendants, so I'm thinking good for utility, storage, larder areas. And maybe under or in kitchen wall units.

But what would they be like in other areas? Maybe as corridor lighting, or background for walking through an area (as opposed to task or ambience lighting). The only one I've seen was in a display, with a lot of other lighting. It looked fine, but maybe not a typical setup.

So, if anyone has any feedback, I'd be grateful.

Reply to
gordon

Pricey, from the few sellers I've seen them at.

NT

Reply to
NT

Really?

A quick search has them at around £5-8 a fitting.

Reply to
chris French

Yes, lamps seem to be about the same as GU10 CFLs. LED prices about the same tpp. Fittings are dirt cheap for under-cabinet, a bit more with a nice trim. But what sort of light do they give, out of a utilitarian context?

Reply to
gordon

I forget now, doesnt it cost about that each time the lamp dies?

NT

Reply to
NT

I have some of these in our kitchen as inset "under cabinet" lighting over the work surface. They provide adequate light plus of course they don't generate much heat.so I think they work quite well for that and look very neat. But I don't think they would be that good as ceiling lighting - probably not even as good as same rating GU10 CFL's which are a bit gloomy IMO !

Reply to
Chris

Its a while since I looked at these, memory not that good. Check the ones you're considering are a decent CCT, 2700-3000K, maybe 3500, not something nasty like 4000K

NT

Reply to
NT

corridor lighting,

task or

Thanks. I'm not really a big fan of CFLs (hope LEDs improve fast!), but yes, warm white or extra warm white only.

Reply to
gordon

Thanks. Not as good as GU10s - would that depend on the brand, I wonder, (watts being the same) or is it the shape?. I'll look at lumen ratings. Probably Ok for larder, store rooms, but maybe I need to double up the fittings.

Reply to
gordon