Anyone tried these?

As below :

a replacement for linear halogens?

Available in 10, 20, 30 and 50w flavours.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

In article , Tim.. writes

That one appears to be a single high powered emitter so no, but I have looked at one with discrete LEDs and it was dismal, low output and extremely directional.

Looking at light output, 10W/900lumen is only about a third of a 150W linear halogen so I wouldn't expect too much from them unless you use one of the higher power ones. A 50W should just about scrape 300W linear equivalence.

V small case so ultra compact but I'd be concerned about the possibly poor light spread.

Reply to
fred

For long term power consumption a row of 3 or 4 could be a possible solution. Expensive set up costs, though.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

when working wih LED lighting, I use a factor of 6 to guess what the equivalnt linear haolgen wattage woould be.

For example I have 500 wat linear halogens, so I'd be looking at 100 watts LED equivalent to get a sinilar lighting level.

So I'd have to use ten of those 10 watt LED lamps to get anywhere near the same level of illumination that a 500 watt linear haolgen would give.

I have two 500 watt units on my garage wall... replacing those two with 20 of the LED lamps is err... a scary thought aesthetically speaking.

Obviously the maths changes if you use 300 watt or 150 watt linear halogens....

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Most people would use fluorescent tubes and a separate tubular heater rather than 500W lights.

Reply to
dennis

speaking.

He he I was wondering why the OP thinks what they need a kilowatt of lighting for. Maybe they are into making TV programmes with an ancient plumbicon camera?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice