Anyone tried new high-tech lightweight filler with glass beads?

It was recommended to me and I've just bought a tub of Wilco's own brand stuff.

Comes in a big tub that would usually weigh about half a kilo but feels like there's nothing in it! It looks like a cross between meringue and shaving foam in the tub!

Claims to not shrink, be brilliant white and give smooth finish.

Reply to
Murmansk

there's nothing in it! It looks like a cross between meringue and shaving foam in the tub!

I'm not sure about glass beads but I've tried both of these which fit the rest of your description:

Except that they are rubbish. Like trying to fill a hole with slightly sticky sawdust. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, in which case I'd love to hear how to get it right.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

Just been using such products obtained from ToolStation.

For my purposes, they were excellent. I have repainted the living room and had various repair work to do. Gaps and cracks between some skirting and the wall, minor cracking below cornice, nail holes, couple of minor wall cracks that had split the painted paper. In every case I bunged this stuff on, wiped away excess and painted over in very short order. And it has been fine.

It was especially good on the paper tear/crack - wiped some on with finger, shooshed it around to try to get some into the crack, wiped off excess with a damp cloth. Painted.

All mends currently invisible!

Found the 20822 1 Strike Filler 450 ml OK but needed some water added. The gun version 87431 Instant Plaster Filler 310ml White was very convenient but does tend to come out very fast and continues to do so a bit after releasing pressure.

I would be wary in areas it is likely to get knocked, but for the sorts of things I did, happily continue to use it.

Reply to
polygonum

there's nothing in it! It looks like a cross between meringue and shaving foam in the tub!

I have used Red Devil for more than a year on a variety of jobs and found it to be excellent for filling most deepish holes - I would not use it for very shallow stuff which I use Tetrion Fine Surface for. As Rod indicates it can be susceptible to impact damage.

Some time ago SWMBO donated a flexible cake slice very similar to this

and I have found it to be excellent for applying fillers.

Reply to
rbel

there's nothing in it! It looks like a cross between meringue and shaving foam in the tub!

These glass beads as you call them may well be a bi-product of coal-fired power stations. Coal-fired power stations produce lots of ash, not surprisingly, and a tiny proportion of it is in the form of hollow microspheres that form in the very high local temperatures in the flame in the boilers. If the ash is discharged into lagoons, as some is, these microspheres stay on the surface and get blown to one side, where they can be skimmed off. They are known as in the industry as cenospheres and have many applications as lightweight fillers in plastics, cements etc. See

, or google for cenospheres fly ash for more information.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I do not know about the Wilco stuff, the Ever Build says:

"A revolutionary filler formulated using lightweight polymer bubbles that fills most holes and cracks, even deep holes, in just one quick application with no need for secondary filling to level off as One Strike will not shrink, sag or crack. One Strike Filler finishes smooth, requiring little or no sanding and can be ready to paint in approximately 30 minutes."

And the other product I also mentioned seems fairly similar.

Thanks for the interesting link on cenospheres.

Reply to
polygonum

there's nothing in it! It looks like a cross between meringue and shaving foam in the tub!

been using similars for 3 ?more years

Great stuff - some flavours better than others but good. No use to refix into tho so be warned.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

In message , Chris Hogg writes

And buy a geiger counter

Reply to
geoff

The key thing about all these products, including ready mix plasters etc, is that they contain very little water, so they dry quickly. Very handy for deep filling where you might normally have to wait for a couple of days before over painting. I've used them for exterior filling and, so far, they have proved very stable and waterproof. I wonder if microspheres could replace sand in some building applications

Reply to
stuart noble

what do you think is in polyfilla light anyway?

its microballoons, PVA and a bit of talc as far as I can tell.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or

harryagain