Anyone recognise this intercom equipment?

One time (about 35 years ago) I had to fix a 45 year old intercom with a couple of external extensions on armoured (po style) cable. The cables to the extension had been labelled in a junction box with tie on labels. Should have been easy to identify, but decorators had been along, and carefully painted each side of the labels! Curses!

Reply to
<me9

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

Decorators are a strange breed of people. Last year I went to service a radio base station that was located in a tank room on top of a tower block. The decorators had been in and presumably told to paint "all the metalwork" with a thick grey paint. They had, including £2.000:00 worth of radio. Including the front panel and LEDs.

Reply to
Bill

If it moves salute it, if it doesn't, paint it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

BSTL was resold by Eagle, and probably others.

Not /quite/ generic, Entryphone have a list of compatabilities.

all use carbon transmitters, some use Ac or DC for the call buzzers, etc

Owain

Oops forgot about the buzzers.

Assuming the wiring is all in place and working, any recommendations for a modern replacment?

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

If you want to buy British, Entryphone.

If not all the wires are working then you can get 2-wire bus systems, that don't need an independent call wire to each flat.

Terraneo, Urmet (although I'm not too keen on Urmet panels, the legend glasses can get pushed in too easily), Farfisa etc are all much of a muchness, the Italians have pretty much cornered the market.

Redid this building with Terraneo stuff. I think they use carbon xmtrs though, and power the speech module through the transmitter. Got the door panel specially made to size and imported from Italy. (Don't know how much - landlord paid.)

For larger installs I quite like bpt for facilities available, but the handsets feel a bit plasticcy.

Personally I would always use an engraved vandal-resistant panel rather than one with legend glasses, I just think they look neater. You can usually use most manufacturer's speech module inside a generic panel.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Hi Bell still exist and are going strong.

out the 901 entry system (look familiar??) If you only have 4 wires try Videx
are by far the cheepest doing a 1 way kit with everything except cable for around £65 CJ

Reply to
cj