Anyone on here competent enough to make a thermoscope?

Apparently Pictet and Count Rumford made some pre discovery of polarity discovery of polarisation in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Largely ignored to date, the whole of uk.sci.weather seems to be in denial:

's%20experiment.pdf

The thermoscope is pictured on page 7 it doesn't look that complicated or expensive to make. When and if I get the pdf sorted I will give more details.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You Alastair by any chance?

Reply to
Richard

Again in English please?

In denial about what?

I skimmed through the pdf, largely these people were looking at stuff before a proper theory of heat and radiation was put together.

All objects radiate heat with a spectrum based solely on their temperature above absolute zero. If you are in say a room, and your temperature doesn't vary, that is because although you are losing energy by radiation, you are receiving an equal amount radiated back to you by the walls etc.

If now the room has a large window and its very cold out, you are radiating in all directions, but towards the window nothing in that direction is radiating back to you. So you "feel the cold" in that direction - the bits of you that are facing the window will get colder.

Nothing to do with mystical "cold" rays. In the case of you being at the focus of a large curved mirror with another one facing it some way away with a cold object at its focus, this merely means that a lot your your radiated heat ends up at the cold object with nothing coming back.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Section IV of the pdf document (starting on page 13, or 749 of Am.J.Phys) explains the effect in 1985 parlance. It all boils down to the fact that all bodies emit radiation but some more than others.

Reply to
Dave W

Surprise surprise, idiots post on that group too.

Reply to
newshound

I doubt the original inventors will be worried after all this time... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I had only got the picture of the thermoscope two glass balloons separted b y a tube with drop of liquid in it. The change in temperature caused a pres ure fifferenc to movve the bubble but i hadn't read the rest of it. It turns out that the method of operation gets the result we expect these d ays.

And earlier description of the experiment that Pictet carried out was the a mirror focused on a thermometer and radiation from a lighted taper near an other mirror was reflected onto the first mirror. Hence the radiation from the taper was mirrored onto the thermometer, heating it up.

When the lighted taper was replaced by a lump of ice, the lack of heat coll ected sent the thermometer down below room temperature. The article spent s o much time trying to explain what the primitive understandings of radiatio n were that I got fed up with it.

Recap. Two tin mirrors. One collecting radiation from an heat source and se nding it to the second mirror. The second mirror focused onto a thermometer .

Ice in the position occupied originally by the wax taper gave inexplicable readings. The thread was at 1902 posts in 2015. I had ignored it as it was a thread I thought was going to enter an endless argument.

I joined in when I heard about this new phenomena and then it went into a p ointless argument. Rather than construct the apparatus to carry out the exp eriment to decide, people would rather get into a slanging match to decide.

The last I saw it had about 220 posts. All very e-defining. The indefatigab le in search of the indecypherable.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer