anyone know what a Tue iron is?

very good friend recently gave me a Farmer-Stedall of London EC1 catalogue that belonged to her late uncle.

A lovely leather bound book. Don't know the exact date but believe it is between 1926 and 1934. This from references within the book.

It has 526 pages and is quite a weighty tome.

I'm familiar with most of the items offered in the catalogue but I have never heard of a tue iron.

Please see link to scanned page.

My best guess is that this is a nozzle to inject air into a furnace, forge or brazier.

I have tried my friend google but she is having an off day.

Many thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Nick,

A few seconds googling found this link:

Woodworm

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

I think you are correct. In a blast furnace the nozzles used to inject air into the melt are tuyeres, I can recall that from school chemistry. I suspect the terms have the same derivation.

Wikepedia says "The tuyeres are used to implement a hot blast, which is used to increase the efficiency of the blast furnace. The hot blast is directed into the furnace through water-cooled copper nozzles called tuyeres near the base."

And you can see here:

the tue iron is the nozzle in the forge that the air is blown through.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Seems its a butt plug for blacksmiths

Reply to
geoff

Did you actually look at the link I gave?

This gave the name Tue Iron and then a further link to:

Tu`yere´

n. 1. A nozzle, mouthpiece, or fixture through which the blast is delivered to the interior of a blast furnace, or to the fire of a forge.

Tuyère arch

the embrasure, in the wall of a blast furnace through which the tuyère enters.

Now is than an answer or not? If it is and it suits you, please engage brain before shooting from the hip. :-)

Woodworm

Reply to
Woodworm

Now just to lighten things a little, and shamelessly pinched from another group:

A nurse was on duty in the Emergency Room when a young woman with purple hair styled into a punk rocker Mohawk, sporting a variety of tattoos, and wearing strange clothing, entered . . . It was quickly determined that the patient had acute appendicitis, so she was scheduled for immediate surgery.

When she was completely disrobed on the operating table, the staff noticed that her pubic hair had been dyed green and above it there was a tattoo that read . . .' Keep off the grass.' Once the surgery was completed, the surgeon wrote a short note on the patient's dressing, which said 'Sorry... had to mow the lawn.'

Reply to
Woodworm

Right , okay, beg pardon. somewhere on that page it says 'Tue iron... see Tuyere'

Self explanatory.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W