Anyone know if I can briefly disconnect my outside water meter please?

That makes it clear now. I misunderstood reader to mean something that read the water flow, rather than something that allows the meter to be read.

The reader physically looking at my water meter, which is in the stopcock pit, once managed to read a 1 as a 4, resulting in my apparently having used over 3000 cubic metres of water in one quarter.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes, indeed. And once re-connected, the water company will be able to access the information stored in the meter in order to determine how much was consumed - even if some of the consumption took place whilst the remote device was disconnected.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I take it that is bad? Never lived in a place with a water meter so haven't a clue about what is "normal" for water use.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We have water meter in a hole in the ground, that also has a remote reader in the lid on the hole, but it also has the reading on the meter itself. Though ours are mechanical, rather than electronic.

Reply to
chris French

We use in the order of 240 cubic metres per annum (family of 4)

Reply to
chris French

Bet that doesn't work for HV... :-)

Reply to
js.b1

That is more than enough to fill an Olympic size swimming pool. A two person household averages about 110 cubic metres a year.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Wiring regs do allow mains and signal cables to be together, but both must be insulated (and quite often are anyway) to the higher voltage.

However, mains and data side by side can cause interference and data loss or corruption, so simple practicality requires an earthed metal screen between them - which could be a screen or armour as part of one of the cables.

Very likely.

Reply to
SteveW