I'm hoping somebody knows more about this than I do.
We have a standard fluorescent light that has stopped working.
I have replaced the tube and starter with known working ones and
still light doesnt work.
With the light switch on, I measured 240 volts going into the Choke,
but zero volts coming out of the choke.
From this I assumed the Choke was faulty (is this a correct
Also I took out the Choke and no current passes through it using an
Multimeter connected across the 2 terminals.
Again I figured the Choke must be faulty / open circuit from this (is
I then replaced the 40W Choke with a similar thing from an old fitting
called a Ballast hoping this would fix the light.
It didnt - although for some unknown reason the light did come on for
about 5 minutes then died after putting the outer light casing back on
for the night????
Now when I switch on, there is a very dim light just at both ends of
By the way the ballast I put in is 65W (is this important when the old
was a 40W choke. The light tubes are 40W.)
I am still left wondering if the Choke is faulty, and if it is then
the replacement ballast not working. (Yes I did connect it up the same
Thanks for any help and advice
(Im surprised this isnt more of a common problem - I couldnt find
experiencing this same problem)