anyone know anything about voip and sipgate?

The house has too many rooms to simply use unbu=ffered extensions..I could cheerfully use 12 but have 8, and has three doors that people might ring the bell on, and two that people do regularly, so doorphones are almost mandatory.

And is so radio dense that DECT would not work, and anyway, the handsets would get lost..

The aim is to reduce two BT lines with one landline with broadband and on VOIP line running on top.

I still haven't found the ideal router.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are plenty of routers that have two voice ports on them, some even failover to the POTS. Which ones have you rejected and why?

Reply to
dennis

Why bother with the router if all you want to do is convert a PSTN line to SIP. Just get an ATA like the Linksys PAP2T or one of the grandstreams.

Alternatively, if all you are doing with the PABX is knitting together your analog extensions, consider moving them to a multi-port ATA like the Grandstream GXW-400X and using its very basic 'internal' extensions support.

Reply to
Espen Koht

One box to do everything:

at the best part of £250 it's a bit pricey and has features you might not use/want.

Alternatively, a modem/router you're happy with and something like a PAP2T, or if you want cheap and cheerfull:

Gordon Henderson

Gordon Henderson gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You're not wrong! Especially since that exact same router is "only" £185 from BroadbandBuyer.

'course, if you're not bothered about the dual WAN support for failover, you could always just save another £60
'd swear by Draytek for reliability, though. It'll outlast several disposable £50 equivalents - as well as not leaving you open to the missus/kids hurling abuse at you when the line goes down.

Reply to
Adrian

That's quite a good option. Covers the base, but oh, its ugly. Still I can stuff it in the 19" rack with luck.

I have a huge problem with heat in here. Two computers, two scanners, a printer, a print server box, a 24 port hub, a router, a PABX, a TV distribution amp.

Not to mention the mains extenders..less boxes is good.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

TNP's original post

"would like to use a second phone using VOIP..connected to my nice PABX.

Now it seems that various boxes need to be put between the LAN and the PABX to turn VOIP into analogue phone, "

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The Natural Philosopher gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

This is the ADSL2 version.

Adrian

Immediate problem there is support for doorphones. Especially if lock release is required, which doorphone cards in the Pannys do support.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Could you water-cool the PCs and tie them into the underfloor heating for the rest of the house?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Good, isn't it?

With my VoIPy/Telephony hat on, I see stranger things - one issue that does crop-up is in-building wiring - you get a small company with an analogue system and they either want to keep it, or keep the phones - which are connected up using cat-3 cabling, so with no chance of running Ethernet to nice SIP phones then various VoIP to Analogue devices need to be employed...

Never a dull moment!

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

TBH because we spend most of the day in here, it actually means we reduce heating elsewhere.

The heat via the open door hits the nearest bedroom and bathroom too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Like 21cn then. Replace the concs with dslams that do VoIP and ADSL. Run them all from a softswitch.

Reply to
dennis

I have a RYO PABX based on the remains of an Omnicom FS2828 2+8. Line

1 is connected to PSTN and Line 2 to a Linksys PAP2T which is in turn connected to an Ethernet router and hence to VoipCheap (I have also used SipGate and it is probably still configured on the second FXS port of the PAP2T).

The PAP2T is a device which "logs on" to one or two SIP services and presents each "connection" as a FXS port (i.e. affectively a master socket) which can have a POTS phone or anologue PBX 'line' connection plugged in. I had to apply some port forwarding rules to my ADSL NAT gateway to permit the connection IIRC, but the actual ports used can be configured - at one time I had both connections on the Linksys operational as well my son's laptop to a further VOIP service.

Set-up, as mentioned elsewhere here, was straightforward by following the VOIP service's guidelines - SipGate are good here.

I currently don't have a number or take incoming calls on the VOIP line as VoipCheap don't offer it and I don't need it.

Pete

Reply to
peteshew