Anyone here using a DeWalt radial arm saw? Problem

Good evening to the assembled company. I have a DW125 saw. Nice tool. Very similar I believe to DW1251 Don't use it often and then mainly for crosscutting. Wanted to to a bit of ripping this w/e and found rotation of the head very stiff indeed in one direction. Any rotation in other direction quite impossible without fear of busting something. The push-button that locks the head is ok. The lever that acts as a 'brake' to rotation is very stiff and doesn't seem to be doing what it ought. I can't find the manual and wondered if anyone here has suffered similar problems.

Many thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Here is the manual for the 1251 which is the later model but should be near enough to yours

Bob Minchin

Lovely, thanks very much.

Reply to
Nick

Mine's in the loft but the manual merely says for Saw swivel for rip cuts

Press yoke clamp (E) and press rip locating slide bar (F).

Basically as its two plates of metal sliding against each other if its not been used for a long time then the lubricant may have hardened.

From memory if you remove the front plate on the arm maybe 2 hex socket screws you can remove the motor assembly from the arm. If you lay it on its side on the table you could try a generous application of WD 40 along the seam between the two plates.

Basically if something hasn't been moved for a long time WD40 often does the trick eventually but a matter of hours rather than minutes in some cases.

michael adams

michael adams

I tried ripping on a radial arm saw once. Once was enough. Not to be recommended on the lighter ones.

Reply to
fred

Indeed. Got kickback written all over them. More especially if using the crosscut fence and the edge of the board snags on the far edge of one of the gaps made by the crosscuts. Follow up post: how can I ease the pain of cracked ribs.

ISTR if there was no alternative one trick was to remove the crosscut fence, clamp a batten underneath the work and run that against the outside edge of the table.

michael adams

michael adams

Thanks Michael, Had already tried a liberal application of WD left overnight. No effect. Have now got the thing apart with little damage although the use of an impact screwdriver was required. Turns out the adjusting handle on the central bolt had seized to the bolt. This caused the tongue to shear off the clamping washer [1] so the entire mechanism became useless. I think this tongue got mangled up in the works and caused the stiffness. Fortunately the parts are still available and have ordered what's required today. My thanks to Bob Minchin for the 1251 manual link. There was no sign of any lubrication on the 2 metal surfaces (one steel, one ali) although this may have dried out years ago. Nevertheless, no sign of any previous lubricant. It will be well greased when rebuilt. [1] I think this is a poxy arrangement. Could have been made better but I can't think how to improve it. Possibly drill through the casting to remove peg and fit a removable dowel. Also a new nut with adjustment handle screwed in. Original is welded. This would at least allow the nut to be removed.

Anyway, it's on the mend and my thanks for your help. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

I've done a fair bit of ripping on this and have had to remove the crosscut fence a couple of times but can't remember why. The anti-kickback fingers are reasonably effective as is the use of the riving knife. Came to grief only once when ripping a large-ish elm board. Picked up and spat out. Didn't hit me but sailed through a closed workshop window. I'm always very careful now when using it for ripping. All in all I think it is a good, decently made and very versatile machine.

Thanks again to you and others for help.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

When doing repeat work, kickback can be useful. Stand aside and the workpiece flies back across the workshop and lands in a bin

Reply to
stuart noble