Anyone got any checklists for moving?

One wrong spelling, one bad word order, one incorrect gender... ...need I go on?

A German might be useful, too!

MM

Reply to
MM

Ah, CLEVER! I see I am dealing here with a higher being than I had suspected...

MM

Reply to
MM

Yes you're right 12 years since I lived in Germany, I'm getting rusty

I had one of those, traded it in for a less problematic Indonesian model

Reply to
raden

Moi? 22 years. But I do have the advantage of a German niece.

Less to go wrong, I suppose.

MM

Reply to
MM

Looks like I'll have a German daughter-in-law soon (despite being a Saupreisz >>>A German kbd might be useful though

Just more in correct working order

Reply to
raden

Are you going to explain to the lesseer mortals hereabouts?

That's me, everyone else hs gone home.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sorry, Mary. It's like this: In German the word einwandfrei means everything is hunky dory, a-ok, no problem son, that kind of thing. But literally, which is where wily young (old?) Geoff was coming from, it means ein = one, wand = wall, frei = free, one wall free.

Now, could Geoff please explain why the German for placenta is Mutterkuchen? If I told you that Mutter = mother and Kuchen = cake, you'd probably go eeuw! (Nevertheless, Eeuw Further Withasail has cooked and eaten one, apparently. Just think of all the stem cell research he simply gobbled up.)

MM

Reply to
MM

Ah, I see, thanks.

Which even the lowest mortal knows ...

No I wouldn't! Why should I?

I didn't know placentas were used for stem cells, I thought it was umbilicals.

As for mother cake, it's nicer than saying one has a bun in the oven. The placenta comes from the mother, it's been cookin' - kuchen - in there for months, it only comes out when it's ready.

I believe that lots of people eat it, I would, given the chance, just for the experience. But only my own. It took me a long time to persuade the midwife to let me even SEE one of mine and she was horrified when I touched it. I knew it would be my last chance, it had always been taken away and dumped very quickly at previous births - as though it was something dirty.

They used to do that with still born babies too. Awful.

Sorry, I'm ranting.

Mary Great fan of HFW

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Is this something you should be mentioning in a public arena?

:-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Why the heck should I not? Oh, I see. You're a tabloid reader!

MM

Reply to
MM

But he *does* go on so. His programme is one continuous burble of HFW talking talking, and then talking some more! When Rick Stein does his programmes, the talk is more self-effacing, whereas HFW must have an inferiority complex the size of Ben Nevis the way he keeps on about all the amazing things he's doing. I believe he's on again tonight and I'll probably watch anyway, but only because the other people in the programme are usually far more taciturn and sound more genuine, more realistic, more real. HFW seems to be verbally 'mugging' at the camera the whole time: "Look at ME! Look! Look!"

MM

Reply to
MM

er - ?

I assume that you're talking about television. Television producers create personalities and they both insist that you do what you have to do and edit out all the things they don't want. HFW's TV persona has been determined for him. So has Rick Stein's come to that.

That's one reason we don't have tv.

I like HFW for his integrity, for his involvement in food related issues I am concerned with. His books about food are top notch, the recipes are innovative and they work - and the photography is fresh and delightful. He isn't the photographer. Of course I don't agree with all his opinions but I doubt that any one person agrees with any one other person's opinions.

I once saw him on tv and hated it, it took some time to realise who it was because I'd never seen his picture. I'm confident that he wouldn't hve behaved in real life as he did on screen.

But I've also seen us on tv and know that it isn't the Real Us.

It's done as entertainment.

Plays, sitcoms, documentaries, news, reality tv - I don't believe any of them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , MM writes

Exactly

I remember watching that - It can't be any worse than eating saure lungen (cows lungs boiled in vinegar, Mary)

A womb is a Mutterleib IIRC

cakes, bodies,

Makes you realise the commonality of our languages when we call pregnancy a bun in the oven doesn't it

So why can you call a boy a Jungfrau ?

Reply to
raden

Not keen on the vinegar bit. We used to feed our cat boiled lights (lungs), I occasionally had some. It wasn't bad but nothing like placenta, which is more like liver.

Exactly. I said as much in another reply.

I can't. I'd be mocked for my accent so I don't attempt German at all.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's far too bohemian to be without TV altogether. While 90% of the output is crap, the other 10% is unmissable, in my view.

MM

Reply to
MM

A virgin doth not make a man of him!

MM

Reply to
MM

Me - Bohemian?

LOL!

I admit that some of TV is possibly good but I wouldn't fancy wading through the rest just for the nugget. Life's too precious to spend on shadows.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Only if someone's behind me!

MM

Reply to
MM

In message , MM writes

In fact there are some phrases "I' ken was ye sprech" for example which would be completely understandable by your average Bavarian

What, during a visit to Berlin, now that's rather clever

Reply to
raden