Anyone got a kenwood chef they don't want

I want to properly knead dough like the new bread makers don't seem to be able to

I found out that my brother has "inherited" my mother's kenwood chef, so I'm on the lookout for one

Reply to
geoff

I dumped two last year, both from the 60s. They sell on eBay but are so heavy that collection was the only feasible method here - so off to the tip. Pity.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

In message , Geoff Pearson writes

You could've put them on your local Freegle - would have saved you the trip to the dump.

Reply to
Nick

Why did it change its name from Freecycle?

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

I want to properly knead dough like the new bread makers don't seem to be able to

I found out that my brother has "inherited" my mother's kenwood chef, so I'm on the lookout for one

Geoff,

Do a search on Fleabay for Vintage Kenwood, there are loads.

Hands are good for dough, just more tiring, but this *is* a D.I.Y. group..... Make a paddle and use the power drill in a bucket LOL!

Reply to
Nthkentman

Lots on ebay or even available new at sensible money

They outlast the people who know how to use em.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not sure what you are trying to achieve here.

For me, I did have a fling with bread-maker and it was fun and quite nice. Very much depended on exact flour and recipe - small differences had quite an effect - but under-kneading never seemed to be an issue.

Partner had to give up bread so have now abandoned making at all. (Not very nice to fill house with baking bread smell when someone will be ill if they eat it.)

But before giving up, I did re-visit what I used to do many years ago - overnight rise in refrigerator then oven rather than bread-maker. And I looked around the internet for ideas. Realised that long, slow rises were being highly regarded by quite a section of the community.

The smell of bread-maker can be overwhelming. As can the in-store bakeries in supermarkets. That all seems to come from the fast rise and disproportionately huge amounts of yeast used.

Slow rise smells much nicer.

And, to get to the point, quite a number of slow, cool rise approaches suggest reduced, or even no, kneading. That is where I would be - if bread-making were continuing here.

Also works better with lower-gluten flours which can allow a greater variety of breads to be produced.

Reply to
polygonum

Round here 'they' are waxing lyrical about the wonders of the Kitchenaid...

A plaster paddle in a drill sounds a great idea, but how about a Cement Mixer?

Reply to
Adrian C

From being a mutual self-help organisation, founded on ideals of diverting goods from landfill into re-use, and started by a lady in Arizona, it became a centralised, autocratic hierarchy that attempted to impose its will on UK volunteer staff. They essentially told Freecycle to go forth and multiply:

Apellation Controlee

If it's something like Coeliac Disease, can you make suitable bread?

Reply to
GB

In message , Geoff Pearson writes

There was a bust-up over the attitude and behaviour of the American 'owner' of the Freecycle name. Most UK groups have joined the Freegle group instead. The UK Freecycle groups still exist (I think) but tend to have moderators based in the US.

Reply to
Nick

It didn't. Freegle was set up by ex-Freecycle admins who had a falling out with Freecycle. Many, but not all, groups moved over.

Mike Humphrey

It didn't, they are different organisations. AFAIK Freegle was one of several set up by ex-Freecycle folk after political fallings-out with the US parent organisation.

Reply to
Lobster

"Geoff Pearson" wrote: [snip]

Because Freecycle had a reputation for havin aggressive local moderators who tried hard to make disposal of items via Freecycle as difficult as possible. They also had aggressive clients who tried to give an impression that they were doing you a favour taking stuff off your hands while also demanding that the stuff should be delivered to their door and be brand new/latest spec.

Obviously changing the name fixes this.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They get donated periodically to the Oxfam shop where I volunteer. They never hang around for long even if in a rather battered , but working, condition. Are generally bomb-proof if a bit noisy.

Reply to
robert

up.

And the offered stuff comes in big batches. I understand that moderators have limited time, but they seem to post the 'offered' and same-item 'taken' at the same time. Doesn't seem quite right...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Are you anywhere near Lymington (Hants), or Hindhead (Surrey)?

Reply to
Maurice Batey

Kitchenaid?

It's about time they sent Jamie Oliver et al to Africa.

Reply to
Graham.

Won't draw the gluten properly, will it?

Reply to
geoff

It is somewhat more complicated than that - has had negative test for CD.

I have tried making some and, in my view, it is not worth it. Results not good enough and does not get round the underlying issues.

But it is a worthwhile approach for quite a number. Thanks for suggesting.

Reply to
polygonum