Anyone got a free energy monitor from eon?

I'll have to look....it's a pain to get to, so not looked much recently..

Reply to
Bob Eager

They're only sampling current every few seconds, and must just assume the voltage is 230V (or 240V). If they had an internal PSU instead of a wall wart for the display end they could at least measure the true voltage, but then the transmitter would have to be continuous rather than sampling once every few seconds to integrate actual power.

But it's better than nothing, if you have a number displayed that's roughly proportional to usage, it encourages you to reduce that number.

That's why I tested with a good 'ole kettle ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Mine would be even easier - it has an RJ45-like socket under the dials, and it says 1 pulse = 1ft³, 12V 10mA.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A fair enough statement but the CurrentCost meter I have is pretty close. I'd say it's within 1/4 unit/day, probably better with consumption being around 20 units/day, that's about 1%.

The big failing is the huge current transformer pickup, how the tail goes through that makes a great difference to the reading. I have mine fixed with the tail right up against the hinge and as perpendicular as possible.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice