Anyone got a Drayton Tempus Three Central Heating control

Friend has just moved into new house, and go a Drayton Tempus Three timer on the heating.
I am usually good with such things but just cannot work it out. Two on/off periods can be set (which I assume are for both HW and CH).
There are two sides to this control for HW and CH, and the following can be selected
OFF ONCE TWICE CONT
I assume that the control automatically moves between on and off depending on the time, with the option to overide the programme
What I dont understand is why the rads are not getting hot (no TRV) as there seems to be no option to switch the HW on auto with CH Off
Can anyone give any help.
p.s I have search the Drayton website for instructions and only get the Tempus 7 -
http://www.climate-eu.invensys.com/UsersArea/9416905945109775/D35_5%20Tempus%204%20page%20.pdf
This model however has OFF,AUTO, ON, BOOST so I could just put the HW on AUTO and the CH on OFF.
The way I feel at the moment I will just rip it out and replace with a CENTAURPLUS C27 ELECTRONIC PROGRAMMER from Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts 073&id225 which benefits from a Manual and 7 day timer

How old is the Controller. Tempus have re-used the names for different products - I have a Tempus 7 that looks nothing like the Tempus 7 on the web site

Yes
The same controls as mine.

The two red lights indicate that the heating or water is on.
Even with the CH set to on the room thermostat will stop the boiler from firing.
--
Alan

I also have an older Tempus 7 model which has the same dual (HW and CH) control settings. To answer your question, you can switch the HW and CH independently to auto by selecting either Once or Twice or set either to Off.
--
Robert

Yes
Auto on from 1st On to 2nd Off time setting (ie once per day)

Auto on from 1st On to 1st Off time setting, then off until 2nd On then on until 2nd Off (ie twice per day)

Yes. If the controls are similar to the old Tempus 7 you can vary the time settings for each day if you wish.

--
Robert

Not necessarily. It might be permanently off. Hot water might come from the immersion. When I moved into my last house, the electric bill was huge for my first quarter as the retarded previous occupants had the immersion on 24/7 with the electric thermostat set higher than the gas powered one. The switch was tucked away non-labelled and without a neon.
Christian.