Anyone for a get-together in the Thames Valley?

Following a comment on another thread, just wondered whether there were enough folks from the Thames Valley hanging around in here to make a viable number to meet up for a pint?

Can I start the ball rolling with a suggestion for Wokingham? Not my home town, but close enough. The Three Frogs is easy to get to from the M3/M4, just off the A329M:

do the usual pub grub if anyone felt like nosh.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Certainly.

Another good option which is fairly easy to find (albeit not quite as easy to find as the Three Frogs) is the Green Man at Hurst which I suspect has better food. The (Brakspear's) beer's certainly good.

I don't mind either way.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The Green Man is good for me. As you say, the only issue is that out-of-area people may find it a little harder to navigate to, but there's a useful map on that web site.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I could always do a better map from AutoRoute and email a JPEG to interested parties. The only slightly fiddly piece is getting to the right road coming out of Wokingham or perhaps south from Twyford.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , PoP writes

Quite possibly

Reply to
geoff

I'd be coming from Binfield/Bracknell - and I know exactly where the straight mile is so no problem there :)

Need to think about dates before we go much further. I don't have anything particular in mind, but maybe a Wednesday evening in November? Could be Friday or Saturday, but I'm inclined to think it might be a bit busy those nights? Spouses and partners too maybe? What do others think?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I'd be up for it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This Green Man is in Hinton Rd and is virtually at the Hurst village (A321) end - i.e. the opposite end to the B3018.

OK. I'm out of the country on the weeks of the 10th and 17th but the weeks of the 3rd and 24th are OK.

It might be an idea to give the pub a call. They used to have a quiz night where again it's very full. IIRC, that was Thursdays but I'm not certain. Fridays and Saturdays are busy.

Sure - if they want to do so.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Wokingham or Hurst (or anywhere else around Reading) would be fine by me - weekday evening but not Thursday (SWMBO's evening out)

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+ Women always generalise

Reply to
John Stumbles

Me too. Wokingham is not too far for me but I have no idea where either pub is.

Reply to
BillR

If you go to the following web site, search for postcode RG10 0BP, then it will get you to within 100 yards. I would suggest you zoom the map out a little so that you can see the local A and B roads:

PoP

Time to put something up for consideration - thoughts welcome!

Location: How about The Green Man, as suggested in a reply on this thread? Location can be easily found from the street maps web site by searching for the postcode RG10 0BP:

I was going to suggest Wednesday 5th November, then I realised that Guy Fawkes night might not be the best idea! So how's about Tuesday 4th November? Say 8pm?

Once we have the date/time/location set we can figure out which colour carnations to wear in our dungarees so as to be able to identify each other :)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Fine by me.

It might be an idea to poll for an idea of numbers and make a table reservation.......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sounds like an idea, though I can't really imagine a Tuesday evening being quite that busy in an out-of-town pub :)

I think I'll try and pop along there in the next couple of weeks to satisfy myself where it is.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Ok for me. Autoroute says 3 frogs is closer at 32 mins. Green Man 47 mins

Reply to
BillR

I think that's a bit pessimistic. I'd reckon on about ten minutes between the two if you take the A321 out of Wokingham....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

2hours seven minutes from here to junction 6 on M4 but I'll need my old car back. ;-)

(Junction 37 of M1....)

:-(

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

You'd be very welcome.

We even have proper beer down here tha knows. :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Just keep your CAT boots on.

Reply to
IMM

Dress: parka with fur trimmed hood Essential item to bring : Thomas Tank Engine sandwich box, and current copy of Goat Breeder & Tainspotter monthly. :-)

Reply to
Rick Hughes