Anyone else using thunderbird 31?

Don't you love Nominet:

Domain name: shaman.co.uk

Registrant's address: ElectricMail Ltd

Data validation: Registrant contact details validated by Nominet on 10-Dec-2012

Yet ElectricMail Ltd was dissolved in 2009! I don't dig their "validation"!

Reply to
Fredxxx

Crazy seems to include having multiple To: lines (and I imagine cc: and bcc: as well). WTF is that all about. Even if you type a list of addresses into the first To: line you get, it carefully then gives you a separate To: line for each recipient. WTF is that all about? One is all you need.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No it hasn't.

What happened is that some of the Qualcomm developers (including Steve Dorner, the original author) wanted to continue development. Qualcomm stopped Eudora work because it wasn't part of their core business. Now, the problem was that by then Eudora contained some proprietary code, so the notion that some folks had of Qualcomm allowing those developers to just start from where they'd left off, using the Eudora codebase in an open source kind of manner, was never going to fly. (Although most people don't seem to be aware of that).

So this team decided to take Thunderbird and start working on it to make it into an improved Eudora. For reasons that I don't understand, after eventually releasing Eudora 8.0 v1, and then renaming it Eudora OSE, they gave up. That's a good five years ago now and Eudora 8, with less features than the final Windows version from 2006 or so, is now essentially abandonware.

There was another program called MailForge that was supposed to be a brand-new effort to make a Eudora-alike, but the guys working on that gave up about a year ago.

Reply to
Tim Streater

On my long to-do list would be adding prefs for that type of thing, and allowing the columns to be resized.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And what is that but a modified version of Thunderbird?

Reply to
Bob Henson

That is, yes. But most likely essentially no one uses it. Go ask on comp.mail.eudora.mac or .ms-windows what they understand by "Eudora". It won't be Eudora 8/OSE.

Reply to
Tim Streater

not my fault if nominet cant keep up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its not windows as nothing else is affected, just thunderbird.

Its pretty cr@p at mail anyway.

Reply to
dennis

On 09 Sep 2014, The Natural Philosopher grunted:

Yes, ISTR that's the default colour: the point is that every account gets its own colour to make it *really* difficult to use the wrong one accidentally; my main account is the pale orange, my 'internet-facing' account is pink, SWMBO's is green, etc. I've never looked into configuring the colours differently to what's offered, but can't believe it would be much of job for somebody who knows coding stuff...

Reply to
Lobster

actually mate, its a GUI defined option. If you go to addons and select the extension and click 'preferences'...

its all there.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

BTW, if you're interested in pursuing this, get hold of me offline.

Reply to
Tim Streater

i am short of time but i'll sleep on it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No - I am using 31.1.1 :-)

Still "just the way it is". :-(

Reply to
polygonum

Just the way it is now. There might be some setting hidden somewhere that will allow you to tweak it if you ask on the TB support forum.

I find the habit of some TB updates to zap the custom Followup button more annoying YMMV. At least v31 didn't do that!

BTW has anyone found a regex plugin for it that actually works?

Reply to
Martin Brown

Wish I could tweak it so the 'Search' pane doesn't extend up beyond the limits of my screen every time I open it and, when I open it, it defaults to 'From' rather than 'Subject' in the search terms.