Anyone advise why wall tiles are not adhering well?

Hi.

Almost finished my kitchen and I'm in the tiling phase. The problem is that many wall tiles keep falling off! Damn, I've done tiling before and not had this problem, so whats up?

I have...

sealed the walls with 5:1 (as reccomended on the tin) water / PVA

Applied a nice thick layer of adhesive, with 5 mm ridges.

Pressed the tiles FIRMLY into place.

NOT left the adhesive to 'skin'.

Used two different adhesives from different suppliers. (The first was on offer so I assumed it might be old and knackered, but the new stuff is also losing a couple.)

Buttered some tiles to ensure the adhesive has no skin.

Left them 24 hours.

Not yet grouted.

Where the tiles have come away the imprint of the makers name and the tiles ridging can be seen over the whole area, so I am making good contact. This is annoying. It's not all of them, but the odd one here and there and in particular an area of plywood boxing under the boiler. The Tiles are black 4" x 4" from B&Q, made by 'Johnson'. Used Unibond first then another whose name I can't remember ATM.

My google for tiles not adhering and other variations produced mostly stuff on the shuttle and mirror tiles on a radio telescope! Anyone care to offer some hints, please?

Again, many thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Gus Noon

Layer of dust on the tiles themselves? Not had any problems with my bathroom but did wash the backs of the tiles beforehand due to the dusty atmosphere I'd had them in before using them. Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Sounds like the tiles need sealing as well as the wall.

Reply to
stuart noble

Just a quick thanks for the replies. More PVA will be making it's way onto boxing and tiles tonight.

Reply to
Mike Barnard