anybody own a leaf blower ?

That takes me back 50 years!

My closest friend was seriously into aero-modelling. By some means, he had acquired a miniature *ram jet* to fit on a control line aircraft.

I think the combustion chamber explosion closed off the fuel/air (petrol) intake by distorting a thin steel flutter valve and forcing the gasses down the tail pipe. Ram air pressure was then intended to re-open the valve and admit more fuel/air >>>>>>

Stationary, on the ground, this did not work but he then hit on the idea of using his father's garden spray as a source of compressed air. The noise was unbelievable and was terminated by his mother, flying out of her kitchen door and vetoing any further experimentation:-)

I suppose Doodle bugs were not long out of her memory:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

As we have a garden surrounded by lots of tall trees we get a hell of a lot. The whole place gets absolutely covered; believe me we've tried ignoring them, but they end up forming a thick rotting blanket which apart from the unsightliness, stays in place all winter; suffocating and killing the lawn and flowerbeds.

You're thinking of the moronic council employees you see out in the roads doing that. The general idea is to use the blower in place of a broom or rake, and then collect and dispose of the leaves...

I do have one (an electric Flymo) but only because I was given it for Xmas once (thanks Mum). In sucking mode it's well nigh useless - not powerful enough to shift any significant volume, and clogs all the time anyway. However for blowing it does have it's occasional use - it's good around plants/flowerbeds and anywhere with obstructions, like pot plants on a patio where a brush would be awkward. And really you do need a convenient suitable "corner" to direct the leaves towards in order to create a pile for collection.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Worx one is 2500W so it is OK on that front ... strangely B&Q say it is

3000W
Reply to
Rick Hughes

The idea being you blow into a pile, flick lever and suck up that pile ... mulching as it does it, and you put mulch into compost or direct on garden.

This is the advertising video

Rick Hughes

Rural yoof is OK, it's the urban bling-obsessed lot that are bone idle.

second that ...

Reply to
Rick Hughes

OK ... bit the bullet ... B&Q sell this for £10 cheaper than WORX web site and the 'WG501' model

The WG500 on the TV channel and on WORX site is only 2500W, the WG501e is

3000W ....

SWMBO as I type this is now happily blowing and mulching leaves :-)

I'll give some feedback on the item after a couple of weeks use.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

The ultimately multi-tasking woman, then...?

David

Reply to
Lobster

just the right size, being picked up off flat hard dry surfaces etc.

Also don't underestimate the weight of 10 gallons of damp leaf mulch. It might start off at 3.5kg, but will be a good deal heavier when full.

There is a review here:

get to see it in action at the end. It works after a fashion, but its not much to get excited about IMHO.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm a what you call 'urban yoof' :p

I get my self some money by cleaning cars for neighbours, friends, family etc, it's hard work especially in the cold but it gets me some pocket money :)

Reply to
David

That's a pulse jet, not a ram jet.

to me _that_ would blow them into a nice pile for you. And light the bonfire too...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Eh? A yoof who is not only interested in DIY, but knows about Usenet News? Literally: incredible!

John

Reply to
Another John

To be very honest, I've never quite understood Usenet, news readers etc. I post on here and browse using Google Groups.

Reply to
David

These leaf blowers/suckers are the work of the devil. The noise pollution outweighs any benifit. Of course noise pollution isn't really pollution right? Only when it affects the "you" maybe.

Reply to
mike

They should be whipped.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I think I would be tempted to suggest she leaves the mulching until after! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

In my experience, leaf-blower operators are usually minimum-wage types mindlessly doing what they're told to do. In most cases it is just a matter of rearranging the leaves, to the annoyance of everyone nearby.

I was in India recently, and it was tremendously pleasant to hear the faint sound of leaves being swept - just like in the good old days. Affluence isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Having said that, he could be 30 and still younger than the average poster here I would guess ;-)

Ah, well just for you then:

John Rumm

nl.ipv4.ptr.145.109.x.>>> > SWMBO wants a leaf blower ...

So why the preference for electric rather than petrol? You have far greater portability with petrol and can also use it in the winter to blow the snow away from paths and tyre runs down the drive to stop them turning into skating rinks.

Reply to
David P