Any way to wash/clean feather pillows?

All my jaded feather pillows have a label saying "do not wash" and "do not dry clean" I'm just wondering if any of you resourceful people have found a way to clean them.....
Frank

The first time I washed feather pillows I just used soap and water and hung them on the line on a sunny day, it worked fine, the second time I tried this the most incredible stench emanated from them afterwards and no repeat washings would remove it, they had to be chucked out.
--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

According to my memory, very shaky after 60 years, this is a three stage process.
1) Remove feathers from Pillow cover(ticking) 2) Wash feathers in cool soapy water in bath, strain with a net curtain or equivalent, rinse a few times with cold water and dry loose turning frequently to keep separate. 3) Wipe inside of ticking over with a dampened bar of soap (this reduces the size of the gaps in the material and helps to prevent small pieces of feather from escaping), refill with dried feathers and restitch.
Anybody else's memory any better? Regards Capitol

the
That sounds about right. There used to be cleaners who would do it for you, but I suspect the amount of work in doing it meant that it became cheaper to replace them. Personally, I prefer hollow fibre fill.
Colin Bignell

Rubber smelling pillows . I'm sure there's a market for that somewhere :-)) Stuart ---------
Remove YOURPANTS before E-mailing Me
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:31:21 +0100, Stuart
Maybe a feature of whether he keeps his jimjams under there, like most normal people do..... ;)
Andrew
Frank Z wrote:

Yeah. Washing and dry cleaning.
Take ages to stop smelling either way, but a week in the sun and they are not too bad :-)
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:16:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@go.com (Frank Z) wrote:

Take 'em to a dry cleaners, we had a load of pillows renovated like this, they turned out excellent.
Jim.