Any views on B&Q kitchens?

SWMBO has decided she likes the look of the B&Q cherry kitchen, any comments on the quality of IKEA units compared to IKEA and others?

Reply to
Dave

oops - that should be ... "comments on the quality of B&Q units compared to IKEA and others?"

Reply to
Dave

Ikea are crap even when compared to Ikea, let alone anyone else. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

After many an MFI, I fitted a B&Q, and next time I'll fit a B&Q cause I was so impressed.

Its not just the quality, its the whole shopping experience, you got the shop, and come back with a complete kitchen.

IKEA look cheep, untill you add in all the bits that are not included.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Not from my window

Reply to
Alex

I used some doors from their solid oak range for built in cupboards and drawers for my office.

The quality is quite good. I did find on one that they had done a poor job of selecting boards to go side by side for the panels - one very much darker than the rest. It doesn't need to match, but on the rest of the doors the colour variation across the door stood out. I took it back and got it changed, but when I bought some more, I asked for them to be opened before buying.

Their carcasses are quite mediochre. I needed to do different things to what would be used in a kitchen so made my own. I would probably do the same for a kitchen if I used them from that. They aren't the worst carcasses I've seen, but not the best either.

I wasn't so impressed with B&Q's foil/veneer covered ranges in terms of construction quality of the doors.

Reply to
Andy Hall

B&Q do good units and doors. They look ok and install nicely. The bit that goes on the top, (cornice?) is crap and very difficult to cut and install without looking diabolical.

Drawers seem good quality, run nicely and have that "drop down" thing just before they close so they shut nicely.

Reply to
EricP

Take a look at the Focus stuff, much more limited range (about 5 I think) but the fittings, drawer runners, hinges etc are better quality.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have you considered Wickes - a number of mates have chosen them over the years and consider they are good quality and finish - if you find a style you want, of course. We thinking of them for a renovation we're just starting.

Aiden

Reply to
Aiden

I have used mid-price range B&Q kitchen units for a couple of kitchen refits and have been very satisfied with the quality of the units and the ease of building.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Just doing my first B&Q kitchen but the whole setup, the brochures, design software, ordering etc suggests that they've thought the concept through pretty thoroughly. The kitchen design staff at my local (non-warehouse) branch were shit hot, and I never thought I'd be saying that about anything related to B&Q.

Reply to
stuart noble

OK, I'll bite: why do you say that?

I ask because I'm just about to choose Ikea for my kitchen, largely because they seem to be the only place that offers 900mm high wall units. However, I have just fitted a couple of Ikea base units in my utility room, and I'm quite happy with their quality. I mean, one chipboard carcass is much like another, and the doors, hinges etc seem OK to me. (I'm specifically referring to the 'Tidaholm' oak doors, some of the others are pretty crappy, but then so are some of B&Q's cheaper foil-covered MDF ranges.)

If there's a concrete reason why I should shun Ikea and go for B&Q, Wickes, MFI, whatever, then please tell me now before I spend the money!

Reply to
Tony Eva

yes they are ok but mfi offer a much bigger choice

Reply to
murdoch5

they are ok but mfi have a wider range which is important

Reply to
murdoch5

I think the FT summed it up hen it cmmented on the IKEA philosophy:

"Slightly better than the worst, but so much worse than the best'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK, but that's still a bit short on information, isn't it? Certainly without stating what the 'worst' and 'best' are, it's a meaningless comparison. Is the 'best' a bespoke solid-wood custom designed and fitted job, for example?

I'll agree that Ikea does have a lot of rubbish in their stores, and it pays to be very selective when shopping there. However, having looked at their kitchens, and also at Homebase, B&Q, MFI, Magnet and Wickes, I can't really see what the big downside is. Some shops have more choice than others, but if Ikea has a style I like, and the cabinet sizes I want, at a cost that's pretty much ballpark, then are there other solid reasons why I should avoid them?

(I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I would just like to know what I might be letting myself in for *before* parting with my cash!)

Reply to
Tony Eva

All I can remember about the Ikea kitchen I fitted was that the backing is right at the back, leaving you no room for pipes etc and that the plinths are crappy. I ran masking tape along the join with the floor to do the seal and it pulled the veneer off.

Reply to
stuart noble

Well, going on my recent experiences, MFI and B & Q delivery can be a very iffy operation. MFI, taking up to 16 weeks with 8 reschedules and numerous phone calls, to perhaps finish delivering tomorrow. As MFI make B & Q kitchens( but B&Q are to a higher carcase spec IMO), then if it's not a stock item at B & Q (Delivery can be a problem), I'd seriously consider another supplier.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

In article , Capitol writes