Any use for a fridge freezer motor / compressor?

I was about to scrap an old FF. Can anyone thing of a worthwhile use for the motor compressor before I scrap it with the machine?

Reply to
John Rumm

Very good compressor for an airbrush. Nice vacuum pump for refreshing bronze bushes in motors.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Good vacuum pump for a vacuum laminating and veneering bag too.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The compressor will spit oil out, so you will need some way to collect this and return it to the compressor, the oil might also be hazardous.

Reply to
Toby

Vacuum pump for DIY refrigeration systems?

As it says there, if it used Polyol Ester oil (a lot of old stuff did, I believe), the oil turns acidic on exposure to air, so it's probably already knackered.

If it runs, I'm sure you could get a different oil in; seizing would be the compressor's way of telling you that'd failed.

Reply to
Onetap

Or if busted, flog it to Tate modern after a quick spray job, call it something trendy first though. brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That possibly sounds like one worth trying...

any gottchs to watch getting one of these things out? (I have a feeling its a butane style refrigerant rather than the ozone depleting type)

Reply to
John Rumm

Do it outside and if you have had to tip it to get it outside, let the oil return to the compressor. Make a small cut to let the gas out - there should be a label to state the refrigerant type to calm any rampant scruples(!) The pipes are usually steel with a copper plating so cut through with a magnet handy to catch the swarf.

Knock up a oil trap/filter as per the other replies for the high pressure side to collect any expelled oil and automatically let it drain back to the sump. Maybe something to cover the vacuum side inlet to keep sawdust out when it is not in use.

See here for improvised vacuum bagging ideas including a neat vacuum switch to prevent the compressor running continuously.

hth Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You get a lot of condensation forming in the compressed air, a quite surprising amount.

You'd normally have a compressor discharging into a receiver, with a drain valve on it and the condensate drops out in the receiver.

A bare DIY compressor with no HP controls, connected to a DIY receiver with no pressure relief valve would be getting uncomfortably close to a potentially lethal device.

I don't know how the moisture or oil carry-over would affect painting, I've had no involvement with it. There must be information on the internet.

Reply to
Onetap

Well I have a compressor, so sucking is of more interest to me than blowing ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm