Any tricks for inhibiting mould-growth on leather?

The leather suite in my lounge seems prone to developing a fine pale bloom. I presume it is some kind of mould. And, no, my house is not particularly damp. I imagine there must be a host of inexpensive ways to prevent this, say by wiping with some commonly-available herb solution or lemon juice or whatever. Does anyone know of something that works?

TIA

Al

Reply to
AL_n

About 116,000 results (0.18 seconds)

Phil L

I think I would use saddle soap (eBay, tack shop) which isn't particularly cheap, but a little goes a long way. And it will maintain the leather very nicely. Alternatively any high quality leather dressing, most of which are some type of wax softened with a volatile solvent to help penetration. They end up perfectly dry to the touch. But saddle soap will help to remove grease and dirt. Follow the instructions! Apply with an almost dry sponge or cloth.

Reply to
newshound

Don't use dimethyl fumarate!

Andy Burns

One of the reasons this will delay the reappearance of mould is that it will help to displace moisture in the leather; moulds need this to grow.

Reply to
newshound

Saddle soap is fairly cheap (fiver for a big bar), but it's a cleaner, not a surface treatment. It's intended for saddles and other tack that gets dirty, so any preservative effect is only fairly short-term.

For a non-tacky end result, a wax-based treatment is probably your best bet. But try a few and find out what you can get and how they behave - you don't need to test on the sofa itself.

Also test for dye fastness on the sofa itself.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Burns wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the responses. I'll look out for a wax-based product. I've used saddle spoap on saddles in the past, but I'm not too keen on the idea of using it on my leather suite as I think it tends to accumulate grime somewhat, due to its waxy nature. I wonder if there's a liquid that leaves little in the way of waxy residue. I know there are a few herbs that are supposed to have anti-fungal properties. There's one growing in my garden called Houttuynia (pink and green variegated leaves). I may have a go at making some Houttuynia tea and spraying that on, as an experimemnt. I also wonder if a simple antibacterial wipe would work (ie, 99p packet from any supermarket).

Al.

Reply to
AL_n