Any tips on using Self Leveling Compound?

I have just had my conservatory floor screeded, and to be fair they did a good job.

But I was always intending on laying Self Leveling Compound before my floor tiles.

However, I would say that the screed is slightly lower than I hoped (perhaps 5-10mm below the DPC), so Self Leveler would not only level the floor, but would give me the extra few mm that I am looking for.

However, having never done anything like this before, I am not sure what to expect.

My attempts at filling and plastering have been monumentally bad, but I am hoping that as the compound will 'self level' it won't be too hard.

Is there anything that I should (or shouldn't) do?

Any hints or tips would be hugely appreciated.. I would hate to do it wrong and spoil everything which has been done so far!

Reply to
Jon Weaver

I'd leave it alone if your filling and plastering is as bad as you say. This stuff does *not* magically self-level, rather it is self smoothing. This means that although it always sets to a smooth finish, you can get undulations in the surface if it's laid badly. Also, you need to work fast with it and, unlike cement mortar, you don't get a second bite of the cherry if it's wrong. Don't would be my advice.

Reply to
stuart noble

You need someone to help as mentioned, I did two floors on my own and it's a nightmare to try and do it all yourself. You end up with ridges between the batches of compound, not to mention arms like tree trunks...

One person to mix and one to pour and smooth out with a float.

Mix a bucketful then get them to start mixing the next one straightaway. It levels as much as it can on it's own but you do need to spread it out as evenly as you can to give it the chance to do so.

It's no where near the same difficulty level as plastering.

Get a little bag and mix a cupful and have a play about with it, the amount of water etc. and what it looks/feels like when you tip it onto the floor, can always try it on out some cardboard so you know what you doing before doing it for real.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.