Any suggestions for an alternative to a baby monitor?

I want to monitor, audibly, when the boiler in the garage comes on and goes off. A baby monitor came to mind, but the things aren't cheap! There is a power point in the garage, so maybe some kind of listening device could be plugged into that and let me tap into it from a power point indoors.

MM

Reply to
MM

Plenty of intercoms - including baby monitors - have sold on ebay recently for around a tenner inc P&P

David

Reply to
Lobster

No help to you I guess, but one of the useful features of the Keston Celsius is that you can wire the run and fail lights to a remote location. In our church we've got an always visible panel at the back of the church built from MK Gridswitch neons that lets us see the run status without going in the boiler room.

If the pump is controlled from the boiler you could use the pump supply to feed a remote neon.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The message from MM contains these words:

If you have a Freecycle group in your area, ask there....someone may have one that they've no further use for, and they'll give you for nowt.

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Wireless microphone tuned into the stereo system radio,however you'll need to adapt a powersupply to run the Mic as the battery will go dead in no time.

Reply to
George

Just the job, connect it to your amplifier and it as good as a baby wireless monitor.

George

you could try pmr walkie talkies. some models have vox(voice activated) capabilities and some even specify baby monitor features

check

or maplin or the like

the good thing is that the radios will be usefull after you have done your boiler.

Reply to
Me

I've never bought anything yet on eBay. Is it okay? One reads so many negative stories about rip-offs, goods not arriving or faulty, PayPal etc etc.

MM

Reply to
MM

Yeah, but a wireless mike is as expensive as a cheap baby monitor.

MM

Reply to
MM

Yes, I did consider walkie-talkies, but assumed that someone had to be at the "other" end (at the boiler) to switch it on. Also, doesn't someone have to keep saying "over".....? ;)

MM

Reply to
MM

"Also, doesn't someone have to keep saying "over".....? ;)"........ rofl

the VOX function works by only transmitting when the sound level is above a certain point (ie when you talk or when the boiler clunks into action) most have this function and like I said before some even specify baby monitor capability.

Reply to
Me

I've bought 20 or so things, most recently illuminated mirrors and fluorescent fittings with no problems at all - though these were new from eBay shops rather than auctions. The nearest I came to a bad experience was with my £30 Zanussi dishwasher - I asked the seller before bidding whether the location was 'my' Richmond or the one in Yorkshire, answer the former. When I won it he tried to claim that he would have to deliver and this would be another £30 but he climbed down.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I've done several hundred purchases and only one caused any problem.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's fine unless you're naive enough to think that sending £200 in used notes to someone who can't spell and who has 5000 feedbacks from selling ebooks is going to result in a plasma telly being delivered to your front door.

Caveat Emptor and don't spend money you couldn't afford to lose is my motto.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

fixed and mobile tactical communications" - so every time your boiler lights either a plane or a tank puts it out again ;o)

Dave H. (The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

Reply to
Dave H.