Any suggestions for a doorstep please?

Need to replace a concrete door step which is cracked, but otherwise has a very smooth finish, ie like a very good grey kerb stone or paving slab. I'm uncertain that I could get a finish anywhere near as good as the old one if I cast one myself in concrete. Door opening between bricks is 930mm almost any height is OK.

Alternatives seem to be:

- Buy a stone step either new or reclaimed from a terrace house front door step. How feasible is this?

- Buy a ready cast concrete block. Most paving & similar products with a suitable finish seem to be only 900mm wide maximum. Any suggestions please?

- Find out what the trick is in getting a high grade finsih to concrete. Anyone know?

TIA

Reply to
ironer

You could always tile it? Real marble tiles look good for a doorstep. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What I do is cast the body or use bricks and top with some Indian sandstone..its pretty cheap really a tons nicer than concrete..

Yes. Polish it as it dries out with a float.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Doesn't this become a death trap when wet? Same with the marble?

Reply to
GB

============================ I think people are talking at cross purposes here.

The OP said, "........ but otherwise has a very smooth finish, ie like a very good grey kerb stone or paving slab."

Kerb stones and paving slabs don't usually have a 'polished' finish, so one way to achieve a finish similar to a paving slab would be to smooth the surface with a wooden float when all surface water has disappeared.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 348 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

These days you'd seal marble which improves the anti-slip properties. But I don't think it's a problem on the average door step.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

They always remind me of the old mining villages in the Rhondda.

Reply to
Guy King

Concrete sis a bit porous, so nit a s bad, but yes, ...put a slope on it to avoid it getting puddles, and sand n it when it looks frosty?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher