Any recommendations on multi-tool choice (Fein, Bosch, CEL, etc.)

I'm thinking of buying a multitool as in a Bosch PMF or similar, there are now quite a number of copies appearing so the choice isn't juct between the Bosch and the Fein. E.g. I have found CEL (both a mains and a cordless), EinHell and Westfalia (has lots of blades etc in the £52 price).

So, does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Reply to
tinnews

Well, I got the Aldi one for thirty quid and have been dead chuffed with it. Searching the archive for "fein clone" should turn up various threads/experiences/compatibility.

And you might want to search for Westfalia too. I think several people were uncomplimentary about the company.

Reply to
mike

I have the Bosch PMF 180 & am fairly pleased with it. Now they have the Blue pro model out the range of blades seems to have increased & become easier to get hold of..

Only downside is the price of the piggin blades - they cost an arm & leg but don't last very long.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There's a range of blades from Faithfull which claim to fit the Bosch (among others) and they seem pretty cheap.

Reply to
tinnews

Got a link?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Try this lot:

bought a pack of 15 assorted blades a while back - worked out quite effective price wise, and the quality seems ok as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

A quick search on Google shopping for "Faithfull multi function" produces enough hits to get you going.

Reply to
tinnews

I really don't like fleabay. I regard it as a stitch up.

Current bid on a pack is $16. I bid $17 and within nanoseconds I'm out bid at $17.50.

It's clearly done automatically, so its not really an auction at all. I'm clearly not being outbid by another person.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You regard wrong.

Someone else has put a maximum rather than a single bid in. The system will then automatically bid up to that maximum.

Exactly the same can be done at any auction. You leave the maximum you're willing to pay with the auctioneer and he'll bid for you up to that amount. To save a newbie individual being carried away.

What is perhaps more annoying is the automatic progs that bid at the last second.

It's usually quite easy to tell if someone is using a pal to bid up the price to the maximum you're willing to pay - you'll get a second chance offer after the auction finishes. You'll be offered the item at the maximum you bid. Ignore or report this. Of course it may be genuine if there were lots of bidders and the winner defaults. But often not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, i think that was someone putting in a maximum bid.

To snipe I use firefox extension Myibay

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

You have not understood the way their proxy bidding system works...

Current price on an item is say £5, so I come along and decide I am willing to pay up to £10 for it. Hence I bid £10.

Ebay then automatically bids for me above the current price by the minimum bid increment. Say £5.20. If no one else bids higher, I win it for £5.20 even though I bid "up to" £10.

Say the person currently bidding £5 had specified their maximum bid as £12, then when I place my £10 maximum bid I will be immediately outbid by the previous bidder, and the price will jump to the next bid increment over £10.

This is exactly the same situation used at a real auction where you place a postal or phone bid in advance - the auctioneer then bids on your behalf against the audience until you either win the item or your maximum bid is out bid.

That is not to say that automated bidding does not also go on - but that is just exploiting quirks of human nature.

Firstly there are some categories (say collectables) where someone with a reputation as an expert dealer may not want to alert others to an item where its value may not be obvious - so bidding using an automated program in the last few seconds, prevents others from "learning" something from the experts bid and responding to it. Secondly there are novice users who do not understand the proxy bid system and treat it like a auction where they bit their "next" bid rather than their maximum bid. Again using an automated bidding program to "snipe" at the last few seconds can prevent them from responding to your bid.

Reply to
John Rumm

There are some companies that don't understand how it works either.. I had to bid for an item on bidupTV for the wife. I set a price that was the maximum, IIRC it was £5, I thought it was worth with the postage on top. It was a falling price auction so my name appears on the bidders board saying I am a winning bidder.. Then the stupid company decides its going to have some specials where they drop the price to £1. They do that on the item I have bid on, guess what? I am not a winner despite having bid more than £1 and being listed as winning bid before the auction started. Stinks of being a con trick to me.

Reply to
dennis

There are some companies that don't understand how it works either.. I had to bid for an item on bidupTV for the wife. I set a price that was the maximum, IIRC it was £5, I thought it was worth with the postage on top. It was a falling price auction so my name appears on the bidders board saying I am a winning bidder.. Then the stupid company decides its going to have some specials where they drop the price to £1. They do that on the item I have bid on, guess what? I am not a winner despite having bid more than £1 and being listed as winning bid before the auction started. Stinks of being a con trick to me.

Reply to
dennis

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

Beware of buying these direct from the US - it's not the import duty that stings you, but the UK Post Office repacking the item for the Customs and posting it onto you. I did a US buy, got the blades for something like =A340, but then got hammered =A315 by the PO, most of which was their charge.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

That is why I selected that particular dealer... they ship all their stuff from the UK (presumably having delivered a bulk consignment to a UK handler or some similar scheme). Hence straight UK delivery and no import duty etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , "dennis@home" writes

No denise, it's as you said - you're not a winner, you're a loser

Reply to
geoff