Any reccomendations for news group servers

Even this needs to be treated with care though. I signed up to Demon long before and web mail offerings were available and hence have a very long history with Demon. However in an attempt to extricate myself from Demon I have recently signed up for my own domain and currently forward messages to my Demon account.

However it seems that the domain I registered has been used before (by a small business run from home that stopped trading and stopped paying for their domain name) and I now get loads of spam (and some not so spam) that is really aimed at that business. Clearly the owner of the business had continued to use the domain address for personal use long after it had expired (with no adverse effect until someone else registered the domain) and I got a considerable amount of personal e-mail.

If you do set up your own domain you need to think about what might happen if you ever decide to stop paying for it.

Reply to
news

Kevin wrote "the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email address"

If world plus wife know you as name@your_isp.com or name@your_account.your_isp.com then you are not going to be able to carry on using those email addresses once you have dumped the ISP (with a few exceptions)

Hence the solution of moving to your own domain.... (or webmail etc)

Reply to
John Rumm

Why do they do that? It can hardly be that they think Twitter is more intellectual.

Reply to
Windmill

last month I booked a flight to France with easy jet. I ticked the box that says 'please don't fill my inbox with spam' It has made no difference,. I am now being invited to fly all over the world, visit hotels in countries I never heard of, and have sex with foreign women who are all 'breathless to hear from me'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

because some companies insist that you do.

Or

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's normally a bit tricky as when a domain expires it disappears from the DNS.

You also had the same user name? Why are you accepting mail for unknown users?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This bit:

"Kev > I am a bit pissed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do > Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new groups. > the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email address. > > Kevin

Reply to
Tim Watts

Very little use (it was decommisioned a few years back now). Server came to end of life, usually 30k users) daily (pretty much all of them me or Bob to this group :-)).

At one point we had many feeds out from our server - by the time it was shut down we fed no downstream sites at all...

Facebook and web forums killed usenet. Twitter hadn't really taken off.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

That is not necessarily a case of the domain still being used, just not telling anyone they have moved. And spam continues to flow forever.

You need to change the default address(es) to handle mail for the previous user. Simply send any mail addressed to previous users to the bit bucket.

Reply to
djc

Send em a photo, that will stop em ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Lots do - Virgin Media's mail services are provided by Google.

Reply to
Bob Martin

That's a *really* stupid answer.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Errr.... a growing number of businesses do, as do many universities.

In fact, I'd say nearly all UK universities are now using either Gmail or O365 (outlook.com) to host their email systems in part (and increasingly for *all* email).

Both MS and Google are taking huge market share at the moment - and some ISPs have jumped as well (Virginmedia being a biggy to have jumped to google for example).

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Sadly we are one of the ones using 365. I *wish* we were on Gmail...

Of course with all the outsourcing of stuff like this, the next generation of sysadmins are going to be so devoid of skills I dread to think what will happen...

Reply to
Tim Watts

well I was able buy bloggs.co.uk and having bought it set up a mail forwarding rule to forward all mail (*@bloggs.co.uk) to my demon address.

I soon started to get e-mail giving me the name, address, Postcode, car type and registration for the previous owner of bloggs.co.uk as they tried to arrange insurance, (so I know what they were quoted for car and House insurance) along with what was obviously spam to the old business.

I got in the habit with demon of using a different user name for every website that needs an e-mail, that way it is easy to spot where and how your address is leaked to spammers. Hence I accept mail for all users at my domain, and when necessary create a junk mail filter.

Reply to
news

I was thinking more along the lines of your own personal e-mail going to the new owner of the domain if you forget to advise *everyone* that your address has changed.

Reply to
news

We ran both for a while, pros and cons for both. Not convinced one is any better than the other - just different.

MS have the advanatage of all the extras and could potentially be a lot better than google which is a more basic offering.

I assume that's the point both MS and google will start ramping up the costs. First hit is free...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

At least Google's Calendar would work with my android phone (and iPhone if I had one). Bloody MS's stuff won't. The mail I just set up a redirect to my own mailserver where I can run exim's powerful filtering rules - but at least SMTP and IMAP would still be an option on the 365 mail side.

No one ever learns...

Reply to
Tim Watts

On 03/06/2014 12:49, Tim Watts wrote: Any real anonymous services .. (anon.penet.fi) get closed down.

If you pass any data over public Internet it can be monitored .... if you think once it leave you it is 100% secure then you are wrong .... CIA spends an awful amount of money to do what they do.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

No I don't think it is 100% secure. Nothing is or can ever be. I never claimed that.

However, they don't have the resources to crack everyone's SSL sessions all the time, so I'm happy with that.

Reply to
Tim Watts