Any reccomendations for news group servers

who supplies your Internet connection ?

I have BT Broadband .... usenet access is free. They carry almost all of the usenet groups.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Wild guess here...... Zen?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

News has nothing to do with email.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nobody in their right mind uses gmail for anything.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was with Pipex (which became talktalk or whatever) and they withdrew their free news service. So I then used aioe and eternal september. When I changed to BT fibre, my news continued to work as before, so I saw no point in changing things to the BT feed. I didn't even know they supplied one. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Uncle Sam watches all internet traffic ... with context monitoring algorithms ... so irrelevant who your provider is.

Any real anonymous services .. (anon.penet.fi) get closed down.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I disagree. I use gmail for disposable email accounts.

Reply to
Mark

As you can see, I use a gmail address for Usenet postings.

(Not that I'm necessarily in my right mind. That's not for me to say.)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I run my own mail server (as do several others here). Mine will use TLS whenever the other end supports it. Good luck sniffing that.

Reply to
Tim Watts

What does email have to do with Usenet?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why would anyone need a disposable email account?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One person I know - who directs stage plays - sets up a disposable account for each production. Once the play is over, he forgets about it. i'm sure others have goood reasons, too.

Reply to
charles

If you don't want to give out an email address you use normally.

Reply to
Mark

Only "pretty decent", not good enough. Very little spam makes it to my inbox, maybe a little burst of two or three items a month. Junk folder has 21 items in it since 30 March. If I look in the logs there are attempts at sending spam several times to many times per hour

24/7 but they get rejected at the SMTP level.

WTF has usenet got to do with gmail?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Quite. Or use a genuine reply to address as I do which is never used for anything else.

Usenet is only for us old farts anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why would you give out an email address you don't want a reply to? Or rather go to the bother of setting up lots and lots of 'disposable' email accounts?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you get spam you know who sent it (or who shared your address) and you can ignore all further emails to that address.

Reply to
Mark

I get virtually no spam and I only really use the one email address (this 'real' one) for everything. Definitely less spam than the number of 'fliers' I get from companies I've legitimately given my address to. ;-)

I hardly ever visit the server to see what spam it may have intercepted.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The short answer is that you can get usenet access elsewhere - you don't need to change ISP just because of that.

Regarding email address longevity, the only proper solution is to use your own domain, and then the mechanics of whatever service you are using can be hidden from the outside world and changed at will.

Reply to
John Rumm

What's email address got to do with anything?

Reply to
Tim Streater