any reccomendations for a small workshop vacuum cleaner

As asked, we're looking for the above to use for 'sucking' up smallish amounts of wood shavings a bit or light swarf, solder and general workshop and home type stuff.

been using this one for the past 5 years and it's always been pretty crap.

I'm thinking of a standard dyson cordless as I'm pretty pleased with it at home, but there could be something better.

We have a proper henry for heavier cleaning but it's not practical to use on benches.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Old Vax cylinder - will take any amount of abuse.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Trouble is we have to buy it. Buying SH is virtually impossible, ebay can be a problem, so such things are brought from RS, rapid amazon, cpc etc...

I don't think an old vax cylinder would go on the bench very well which is why I was thinking handheld as I have tyo hand it to the students too.

Reply to
whisky-dave

A possible problem with a small hand held type is all to easy to walk - if only to be used elsewhere.

I have a large wet or dry type in the workshop. Fine for clearing the workbench too. So I'm not quite sure why your Henry isn't ok?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it weren't for your s/h issue I'd recommend a Dustette, sounds like a perfect match for the job. They last forever, I've got one from the 30s.

There might be some good new ones, but if there are I don't know them. All the new ones I've had or used have been crap one way or another.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

1/ the Henry doesn't belong to the college it was brought in by a memeber of staff because the department didnt have any form of cleaner for such things. The memeber oif staff want to take it back home for their own use. 2/ we don't have space to store a large cleaner, and we don't need one. The one we had was crap but it was OK for cleaning the workbench down and other light work, but still wans;t very good my dyson is easily 5X better. 3/ if it walks it walks. With over 1/4 million quid of equipment in my lab we won't worry about a vacuum cleaner in my locked office.
Reply to
whisky-dave

perfect match for the job. They last forever, I've got one from the 30s.

I have this cute dirt devil.

3W82DtmIemFtsLcGLerlY%3D

but I'd prefer something cordless, for safety reasons with students.

l the new ones I've had or used have been crap one way or another.

I've had a D&B cordless again pretty useless but was only 30 quid.

At the moment I'm still looking at dysons as that's what I use and have bee n happy with them.

Reply to
whisky-dave

a perfect match for the job. They last forever, I've got one from the 30s.

All the new ones I've had or used have been crap one way or another.

een happy with them.

Cordless are inherently double crap. First you can't get enough power from the batteries, and 2nd the batteries don't last.

If the issue with used goods is around guarantees, maybe someone could dona te a £5 dustette. You might need to add an earth wire in the handle, they tend to be insufficiently earthed. They always need a good bag clean, and unblocking of the area behind the fan. Once these are done you have a hoove r that does a fair job and lasts a lifetime.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I was going to say: car boot sale ... then I realised that (probably) what you're saying above is that you have to order it officially, so that the company has a proper audit trail, returns possibilities etc.

But nonetheless: boot sales often have decent looking vacuum cleaners which have been thoroughly abused by lazy or ignorant owners (no offence intended in any direction!), and which can be easily fixed. You can get such machines for a fiver or a tenner ... which maybe the company will put through petty cash. And you could end up with (a series of) very good machines for the job intended.

2p John
Reply to
Another John

Yes, and that I'm not buying something from a 'friend' or even importing something illegally.

Why should I give up my time to go find a vacuum cleaner. Are they goning to give me the time off work. Which boot sale would you suggest, how many hours would you suggest I allocate to this. Then it has to be electrically tested, so I won;t be able to use it until january.

By who, and will they guarantee it.

This dependents on who the "you" is.

I could be blamed for having crap machines that don't do the job, so saving money is not my main point.

cheers but I need something a little more practical, like a URL or a model number.

Reply to
whisky-dave

snip inability

there are none. Unless you could find a refurbed dustette from an online dealer.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But from your previous posts, the finance dept won't like buying via eBay, and the PAT person will have kittens about it ... just buy one of those Bosch battery ones, useful for fighting tigers off too

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've never tried these, just seen the TV adverts, seems to follow dyson design and pricing ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just make sure that your dressing gown doesn't "accidentally" fall open at the wrong time. The Dustette has "form". ;-)

Tim+

lol, it does indeed. The cast metal fan is too close to the inlet - maybe there are also people doing weird things with other designs of vac out there.

Reply to
tabbypurr

yeah that's scary.

yes, we often get problems with tigers in the lab ;-)

looks too floor orientated, and as we have cleaners employed for the floors.

Reply to
whisky-dave

See - the answer was there all the time - handbrush to sweep the bench debris on to the floor...

Reply to
Geo

scary? lol

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

How big is your bench? Could you do something with a small mains cylinder? For instance park it under the bench against the wall, permanently switched on. All that emerges is the mains lead, which is on a switched socket, and the hose which comes up the back of the bench. Just turn it on and pull the hose to whichever part of the workbench you want. Maybe a longer hose would help reach further.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

that's rather personal

But I work in a teaching lab. roughly 60 x 6ft benches. usually in rows of 3.

that's what worries me, what might a student do with such a thing.

a much longer hose about 100ft should do :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave