Any one got, installed or used a 'boiler buddy'?

Just the name tells me to stay well clear...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As the title suggest. Boiler Buddy -

Any good?

Worth the investment?

Better than Maganaclean?

Or just a gimmick

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

The Magnaclean works and is very good.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He likes names like Chummy Boiler.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thats wot I thought until I found out it is made by Fernox

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

"Cordless Crazy" wrote

I fitted a MagnaClean at the weekend - 1970s system, full of crap and sludge despite numerous flushes, rad removal etc. The magnetite floating around in my system is definitely magnetic (tested on a fridge magnet to be sure!?) so don't see why they shouldn't work.

In my case I intend to replace boiler/upgrade shortly, so am doing anything possible to clear out crap.

Pros/Cons Boiler Buddy/MagnaClean

Comparing the 2..........

Similar price £70-75 + VAT MagnaClean easier to service IMO (don't need to take device out of line, just valve off and unscrew lid) Boiler Buddy is transparent so you should be able to see the condition without opening. Boiler Buddy will fit in place of existing pump if you are going for boiler upgrade with integral pump then this is probably good. MagnaClean is bulkier as it stands away from the installed pipework rather than in line. If the MC is installed in an existing vertical line, it will be laid at an angle which means even more room is needed alongside it to withdraw the magnetic core. BB has more internal "parts" to dismantle/clean.

Haven't opened the MC yet so can't comment on effectiveness.

HTH

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Do let us know, please!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Right. Generally, their products are good. Wonder why they chose such a naff name? Or perhaps they don't make it but simply sell it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Matt, I don't know.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You will see a build up within hours on installing the Magnaclean, well if you have the heating on of course, which in this weather you may not.

Best you check now and each month until the water is clean, then once a year at service time.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Sounds excessively American

Reply to
Richard Conway

Cheers Phil. Any idea where I can pick a Magnaclean or a Boiler Budd up for under £85

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

"Cordless Crazy" wrote>

Got my MC from Danbys, Plumbers Merchants in Hull - £71.99 + VAT IIRC, PTS sell the Boiler Buddy for about £74 + VAT

The manufacturers Adey/Fernox will give distributor names

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Well if you judge from that name and the webpage at perhaps Fernox are rapidly going down the tubes?:-)

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

;-)

takes you to Plumbing World...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Seems a silly price for something you could make for a tenner.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Think the tenner wrapped round the pipe will work as well.

There's no substitute for starting with a clean system and using the correct inhibitor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)