Any old iron? Microwave knacked.

Having ordered (for £13.50) a new fuse part for our Matsui microwave, I've decided it's scrap (since when I had it reassembled, it produced a spectacular show of sparks, crackles and smells when I tried to use it).

Before I take it intact (including new fuse part) to the recycle depot: has anyone suggestions for re-using bits of it? I hate chucking stuff away ... as my garage, utility, loft, sheds, all testify).

John

Reply to
Jonelle

The transformer can make a small welder if rewound. Ideally use the fan with it. Door glass makes a chopping board. Turntable motor makes a megger.

NT

Reply to
NT

Be quick!

big magnets in the magnetron

Three or four reusable microswitches in the door interlocks

Door window's perforated steel sheet makes a drainer for the garage parts washer tank.

Timer (clockwork only) makes a runback timer for many uses, which may also have a simple PWM duty cycle switch in it.

Stainless case or inner scrap makes electrodes for electrolytic de- rusting of old woodworking tools.

Case outer is three usable panels of painted steel, one of which might have vent louvres pressed into it.

A load of short self-tappers for steelwork.

Microwave window seems to be low-grade mica and is heatproof enough to wind a nichrome heating element on.

A transformer that makes a particularly poor quality PSU for a Tesla coil (not recommended), but the capacitor is a little more useful.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The transformer can make a small welder if rewound. Ideally use the fan with it. Door glass makes a chopping board. Turntable motor makes a megger.

NT

Reply to
Micky Savage

Glass turntable makes a fruit or cheese platter.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Can you not think of a use for the lamp? It is about the only thing you have ommited. ;-)

Reply to
PJ

with the lamp you could heat the pie.

Reply to
misterroy

Spare for your working microwave! It's the one reason I usually get round to stripping a dead microwave down, because I need a spare lamp.

BTW - does anyone else keep a workshop microwave, just for heating noxious stuff that's going to make it unfoodable afterwards, or things with an explosion hazard?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Mount the magnetron at the focal point of a satellite dish and point it though the window of the people opposite.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

"Bill Wright" wrote >>

i really wish you haddnt said that, my microwave is playing up so gonna get a new un soon, i have an old sky dish sat in the garage just because i may have a use for it one day, and i have neigbours who are a pain in the arse opposite me......

Reply to
gazz

OP here: Blimey lads: I used to think I was a bit of a DIYer ...now I see that I am merely scratching at the outer limits! My own aspirations had got as far as the one that said "Use plate as cheese or fruit dish" ...

Thanks: very erm - ?? useful? -- humbling, at any rate!

John

Reply to
Jonelle

Having worked for the railway I can confidently say that there is no such thing as an unfoodable microwave ;-)

If you're microwaving explodable stuff better do it in the kitchen - if it explodes in the workshop it might damage something important.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If you're brave you could make a microwave space heater. A tiny amount of microwave energy can keep people warm in an otherwise cool room - it feels nicer than conventional heating too, as youre warm in cool air. You'd need to make the power level control failsafe, so that whatever part fails it can't leap to full power output and cook everyone.

The other relatively interesting use for a dead nuke is to convert it to an electrode cooker. The case with safe interlock is ideal for this.

NT

Reply to
NT

1: With the aid of a rope, a couple of pulleys and a trip wire, an old microwave suspended above your front door makes an effective burglar deterrent. If painted black with a red pentagram it will also ward off Jehovah's Witnesses. 2: With a hole cut in the bottom of sufficient size for a child to get their head through, an old microwave makes a cheap and fun home-made diving helmet that will draw gasps of envy from other children when you next visit the sea-side. 3: Attached to the wall by your front door, it's an ideal place for the postman to leave small parcels that won't go through the letterbox. 4: Make your very own bacon smoker by sellotaping strips of bacon to the interior roof of the microwave and placing a plate of smouldering oak chips below. 5: Annoyed by household thieves drinking your whisky or scoffing your chocolates? Place your items in the microwave and listen out for the tell-tale 'ding' as the miscreant attempts to snaffle your treats. 6: Unruly children can be swiftly brought into line by placing their toys/pets in the non-functioning microwave and giving the dial a twist. 7: Pep up the festive season with a 'giant advent calendar'. Simply write the date on the door each day and place a suitable treat inside. 8: Fool housebreakers by attaching a photograph of a pie to the door, then place your valuables inside the microwave.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I don't, but I did wonder about using one in the shed for killing weed seeds in potting compost.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Stephen Howard wrote: [snip clever ideas]

Nice. Also:

  1. Paint it black and cut a slot in the top. Then you have a handy ballot box for use in elections. Remember to remove the plug so you can't be accused of cooking the votes.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Perfect case to build a PC. Can even stick an LCD monitor in the door!

Reply to
Adrian C

NT

Reply to
NT

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen Howard saying something like:

Keep some rapid-setting concrete mix handy and use the empty m/wave as a mould for encasing burglars' feet. A trip to the docks is optional after this.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon