Any noticable difference between sky+ hd scart or hdmi?

I have a Humax HD box into a TV HDMI, I also have a Sky+ HD box into a TV SCART (same TV). Switching between them there is precious little difference. OK, the SCART is marginally worse, both are obviously HD pictures. Then again, a good SD transmission often produces a better picture than a crap HD one. E.g, if you watch a M&S advert in good SD it's damn good.

Reply to
brass monkey

HDMI has a lot of control. However what each connected device can do depends on the devices software.

For instance on mine the HDMI can control the TV, SKY, DVD. But it won't switch the TV and AMP to the SKY automatically while it will do so for the DVD. This is probably a bug in the SKY box.

Reply to
dennis

Well, it exists in two states, on or off. When it's off, the picture quality is awful. ;-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

That's a fair enough point, just because it's an "HD" channel doesn't mean it's always broadcasting decent quality HD material. A lot of the time it's (sometimes quite badly) upscaled SD material.

At the other end of the scale, SkyNewsHD has obviously been uber-processed to prove a point...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

From what I've read it seems to be a deliberate decision, as is the refusal to set the 3D flag.

Reply to
Lee

An LCD one is, is it not?

Reply to
Major Scott

They all are, photons are discrete.

Reply to
dennis

I meant as opposed to CRTs, which in your pedantic opinion would self-digitize.

Reply to
Major Scott