Any noticable difference between sky+ hd scart or hdmi?

As subject, I'm short of hdmi inputs and wifey would be banjaxed with a switcher. .

Reply to
brass monkey

Surely, in theory at least Scartifying it would effectively put you back to sd surely?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Actually no, the pic quality is far better than sd, even with scart, hence my question.

Reply to
brass monkey

It may be good, but it won't be true HD via a scart. Only you can decide whether it's "good enough".

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I have the opposite problem... the combined Christmas/birthday present (LCD tv) only has hdmi inputs. There is a concessionary single scart converter supplied for those of us with archaic PVR or DVD players.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well, yes. SCART won't do HD.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My TV has HDMI and SCART my PVR has HDMI and SCART if I connect it by HDMI then the auto switch of the TV to the PVR that works with SCART when I power on the PVR does not work so I stick with SCART.

Reply to
curious

Which could mean the TV comes on in the middle of the night when the PVR does what it does then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

no If I am watching the TV and power on the PVR from standby if connected by SCART the TV switches to the PVR but if connected by HDMI it doesn't. If the TV is in standby and I power up the PVR from standby the TV stays in standby.

Reply to
curious

That would indicate..

the TV is cr@p the sky is broken or set to the wrong output you don't have any HD channels you need to look up specsavers.

Reply to
dennis

Is it something to do with SCART having a control signal wire where HDMI doesn't

Reply to
curious

Thanks for all the help, Dennis. TV is a 42" Panny plasma so prolly crap. The Sky+ HD box is brand new so prolly crap. I pay for HD channels so prolly don't get them. My eyes are fine, though.

Reply to
brass monkey

IIRC any box which supports HD is prevented from outputting HD quality over SCART because SCART doesn't support Digital Rights Management whereas HDMI does.

Could just be a rumour, though.

Oh, and I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma and I have a lot of difficulty telling the difference between SD and HD output because I sit far enough away from the TV for the differences to not be easily discernible.

If I step up closer to the screen then I can see more individual detail on HD but when sitting well back there really isn't that much difference to see.

In the sheds they have big TVs alongside narrow aisles so you are far closer to the TVs than you would be in your own home, so the difference in detail is far more obvious.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

As may have already been pointed out, HDMI is digital whereas Scart is analogue. So a HDMI connector will feed the digital bits direct from Sky feed straight through to the TV, cutting out the middle man. For the Scart presumably the sky box will convert the digital feed to analogue, the analogue will go down the cable and the TV will reconvert this back to the digital In theory this conversion and re-conversion should have at least some impact on picture quality. Although whether its actually noticeable may depend on the individual viewer.

michael adams

michael adams

It's lost a bit in the telling. SCART is analogue and cannot do HD in any case, so no restriction.

The restriction is for *digital* streams, which must be lower resolution if not protected by DRM.

Or something like that...

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You're saying a display is basically a digital device?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are you now comparing scart RGB with an old skybox which might have been set to scart composite? The difference there is noticeable, never mind being on an HD set.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Size of TV, quality of scaler, viewing distance and various settings aside, if you genuinely cannot see the difference between an HD channel (at least one that is actually broadcasting HD content) @1080i and Scart at 576/480 are you quite sure about that? ;)

Reply to
Lee

If its more than about 2-3 years old it probably doesn't do proper 1080p which you need for HD.

You can select the HD output and you may have set it to SD in error.

Reply to
dennis

Are you talking about digital TV's and monitors ?

Is that a trick question ?

michael adams

michael adams