Any idea what this stuff is called please

It is fairly olde worlde steel anti slip/skid strip. Approx 1-1/4" wide. Used to be used on steps, treads, walkways etc. Need a couple of yards for use in the restoration of an old Scammell. This will be in short lengths if anyone has some kicking around. The name or link to any possible suppliers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

That looks cast, not stamped/rolled, which IS old.

shhesh.

I doubt anything still is made like that unless to special ordet. Nearest modern equiv seems to be 'Durbar' patterned steel or alloy plate. Google steel floor plate...

The Natural Philosopher

Thanks very much. I don't think it's cast. It is quite thin (3/16" max) and can be bent. Definitely ferrous. Have googled for ages looking for summat similar. Replacement could be of Ali. Nothing found, as yet. Have looked at Durbar but it is not really the material for the job. I used to know that as chequer plate, no longer available apparently because of icing dangers. A likely replacement might be small strips of expanded metal cunningly attached. This would be rather unsightly in the scheme of things. The old Scammell isn't 'that' ancient. Built at Watford about 1955, possibly originally intended for military use but never put into the Services. Thanks again.

Reply to
Nick

Known to some of the bus trade as "Sharks' Teeth" It's similar to what's used to protect the edge of staircase steps on buses.

Try:-

They still make buses.

The stuff you have will be cast steel, the modern stuff will be aluminium.

Also try any local bus and coach repairers/ restorers in your area.

Reply to
John Williamson

I'm pretty sure Bedford MJ army trucks have similar on front wheel hub to form a step. It's nearly 5 years since I've been in one though. You could do worse than asking at the place where they flog off old trucks, some of which get reconditioned:

Ladders on some naval vessels have a similar idea welded on. Ditto driver's hub on a Routemaster bus IIRC.

Reply to
Part Timer

It`s called pyramid nosing and it`s rolled steel.

mark

Dam Good Spot Mark.

Reply to
Baz

Thanks very much Mark. I think this is spotwhatsname. Even the rivet counters would not notice the very, very slight difference. Well spotted and I'm very much obliged. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

It should be available from most decent steel stockholders,Brundles was just the first stockist that came up with a picture. TBH,they are very hard to beat on price with a lot a lot of things now. When I was an apprentice I used to drill and countersink miles of that stuff for the local joinery firms. .

Reply to
mark