Any experiences of using Safestyle windows ?? good or bad

Any experiences of using Safestyle windows ?? good or bad

As I got caught out last time when I had double glazing with another company, whose since has gone bankrupt.

Reply to
gb

i wouldent touch them just on the strength of their twatty adverts and the wankers they use in them :)

Reply to
gazz

"gb" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I certainly wouldn't have anything to do with those folks (SafeStyle UK) after a really bad incident with one of their reps. A young lad came door knocking recently .... I was actually expecting someone else, therefore I thought it may be them. After a while it dawned on me that he was from a double glazing firm (the name I recognised from Watchdog some while back). I told the lad I wasn't interested several times but he kept trying to pressure sell his products. I started to get angry after the 10th time of telling him I wasn't interested. I then asked him if I had to spell it out to him, he said "yes". I told him that I was not f*cking interested, so p*ss off. He then said "why are you being like that? look at your windows, they're dropping out man." I told him that the windows were my business and to get off my property (my windows were perfectly okay by the way, as I had installed them myself, being a builder at that time). Both of us got quite angry. Eventually he left begrudgingly. All this is besides us having a large sign on the front door stating that we don't buy anything at the door. When I asked the lad if he had read the notice, he said yes he had but didn't think that it applied to HIM !!!! I rang Safestyle to complain, but all they said was that they had no reps in our area at that time. They sounded as though they were not in the slightest bit intertested. Personally, I would like to see all doorstep sales banned, especially when you get very pushy lads like the one we had. What I feel very sorry for is pensioners, who may not be as unpersuasive as myself. So, be warned, they are the type of reps you can't get rid of. Dave

Reply to
Dave

I wanted to buy one window some time ago. I wondered how much it would be so phoned Safestyle as they were prominent in my mind. I had the measurements and explained I merely wanted a quote, this was going nowhere so I agreed to arrange a visit from a salesperson. The woman on the phone said that there were two adults registered as living at the address, what time would we both be available. I advised her that if I was to buy a window, I was quite capable of doing it alone but she pushed the issue so I told her to forget it.

I assume some **** would have tried to sell me a full set of windows and doors at only £x.xx per week and only if you sign tonight....

Reminds me of some years ago, as a new homeowner, I was tricked into thinking I had won my carpets cleaned. My prize was some **** in my house for hours trying to sell me a Filter Queen vac for about £1200. Why will these people not just **** off when you make it perfectly clear it isn't going to happen, I practically had to chuck him out. I feel sorry for the people who get suckered, or do I? Because of these people the salesmen always assume there is a chance they can break you down.

Reply to
R D S

Hmm, I got caught with Filter Queen some years ago, and like you, I too had to all but throw the woman out. These days I say no to everyone who tries to sell me something, before they can even get into their spiel.

'Are you selling?' 'Oh, no. We're just trying to gauge....' or some other crap lie. 'Are you selling? Yes or no?' More verbal crap 'Not interested. Don't waste your time or mine.'

Reply to
The Wanderer

I later encountered someone who bought one, he loved it. To be fair it was a good machine but not at that bloody price.

It grates on me more when people come into my shop trying to sell me stuff. I don't pay rent and rates to be a sitting duck for these people. I don't mind so much if they gracefully back off when I tell them i'm not interested but more often than not they get uppity when I tell them i'd rather not waste their time as well as my own.

Reply to
R D S

I did it the other way round. The telesales were too aggressive, so I let them 'persuade' me to have a bloke in. I let him measure up, then just as he settled down for the evenings haranguing I told him the landlord* had asked me to get him in to measure up, then go away and phone him with their best price so he could compare them against 'all the others'**

Never seen anyone bugger off so fast...

Never got a phone call either, but hey ho. I got a builder mate to do it for half what they would have charged as well.

  • - excellent way to get rid of doorstep sellers - 'it's rented, mate'

** - for all their 'best price in the UK' spiel, none of them seem to like being compared to others...

Reply to
PCPaul

Ah, that reminds me of some more details towards my previous tale about SafeStyle UK (see earlier in this thread). The first thing I asked the yound lad was " ... are you selling something?" He replied "No, I'm here to do a survey". As I mentioned, I was waiting for someone from Warm Front to survey our house for cavity wall insulation, so I thought that the lad was from them. He quickly flashed a pamphlet of which I only just caught the company name. Talking to a friend of mine who works at an Advice Bureau, he siad that they have had loads of problems with doorstep sellers and their favourite 'excuse' at the moment is that "... it's okay, we're not selling anything, we're just doing a survey." ... when they plainly trying to sell double glazing. So, beware. Dave.

Reply to
Dave

Anglian is another company to avoid. The gable wall of my mother's house started to collapse because of their incompetence. The managing director is currently ignoring emails from the local trading standards who are threatening to prosecute them, so it looks like we'll be going to court.

Reply to
mike

Seconded. Tale of shoddy workmanship from Anglian, St Albans has been outlined in the past.

The *big* problem is that the company appears and acts like it is one big national company were reality is that each area is in effect a franchise. If you have problems head office will just push you back to the local office, rather than take the problems on and sort them out.

It also says a lot that the St Albans office had at least one full time team of "installers" going around sorting out the problems. Do the job correctly in the first place and they wouldn't need such a team.

Best to find a local firm that has been trading for 10 years or more(*) and as you only want the window rather than installation as well maybe make that the local maker of frames.

(*) Pretty sure the Companies House website will let you know when a company was incorporated and other information without having to pay.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We discovered that by accident when we were actually renting a house... I've never seen anyone run away backwards before or since.

Reply to
Huge

LOL that happened to me with Kirby.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

My next door neighbour had a DG salesman around a couple of years ago, she is a pensioner. I had always told her if anybody came 'knocking' who wouldn't go away give me a call and 'pretend' she had a problem, tap dripping, toilet overflowing etc. She rang so I went round and went to 'fix' her toilet. When I had finished the rep asked to use it so Shirley said he could. Whilst he was in there I took his laptop and briefcase and placed them outside on the drive. When he had finished his ablutions he came back into the room and said "OK Mrs .... have we got a deal"? "Where's my briefcase and laptop"? He was shown them through the front window, needless to say he didn't stay in the house much longer!!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

I was wondering if anybody else had good methods of ridding themselves (or others) of troublesome and persistent sales people? Dave.

Reply to
Dave