Any experience of QPL Qual-Fit push-fits from Toolstation?

Has anyone used QPL (aka Qual-Plumb aka Qual-Fit aka PipeLife) pushfit plumbing fittings, as sold by Toolstation?

15mm elbow, for example:

I thought they would be OK for temporary use during bathroom renovation as fittings get moved around and pipework moved, and that I would leave them in place if they were OK.

Having got a pack home, I see they need a demounting tool (which Toolstation don't sell). Their various websites are pretty uninformative - a product list and comprehensive installation instructions would seem like good candidates to put on-line but I haven't managed to locate them. And I get the impression that when you reuse them, you're supposed to change the grab rings and O-rings (packs of 50 from Toolstation, which is fine if you're using them all the time but a waste if you want half a dozen).

(As an aside, they also say that plastic pipe should only be cut with "purpose designed pipe cutters. Do not use a hacksaw" which is completely contrary to the advice from uk.d-i-y's resident hacksaw-and- weep expert! Whither he?)

So having sworn off the notoriously crap FloPlast after having to rip out the newly installed kitchen floor because the buggers apparently don't react well with copper, I'm wondering if I should just take these back and get JG Speedfit?

Reply to
mike

When I replumbed the house I didn't have the cutters and didn't want to use a hacksaw (or an angle grinder!). I found that an ordinary (copper) pipe cutter would put a good groove in the pipe and then I'd finish off with a sharp knife, including trimming a bit off the inside. This method also results in a 'bull-nose' lead-in end.

Reply to
PeterC

When doing some pushfit plumbing out in the bush (well, farmyard) I once used a hacksaw as I didn't have the cutters with me. No problem, didn't leak although the caveat that it was outside so didn't matter and, IIRC, on a tank so not exactly 10bar.

Mind you, I presume the reasoning is that any burrs or imperfections on the pipe could nick the O-ring and leave a weep channel.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

snip

take em back and buy Hep2O ?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I don't tend to use pushfit for long term fittings, just short term, but when I do use them, I use the JG Speedfit range, which seem very good.

No tools required for disassembly. They have a screw-down locking ring to prevent the grab ring being released (except for the stop-end fittings). Of course, there are situations where the requirement of an obscure tool for disassembly is a plus point. The stop-end fittings are very useful whilst plumbing, and I keep several of each size.

The O-rings wear out with repeated assembly/disassembly, but you can easily get them out of the fittings and replace them. My pressure tester has a JG speedfit fitting, and with repeated use, the O-ring needs replacing about once a year - I just take one from another JG fitting.

Speedfit also won't like any burr on the pipe ends. Loose burr might end up in the seal, and attached burr may nick the O-ring on insertion. In the case of metal pipe, I sand the end smooth if it's been sawn. With plastic, you would need to be more careful about not damaging the part of the surface where the O-ring seals.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

+1
Reply to
ARW

Thanks for all the replies. Have swapped for JG at Toolstation.

Hep2O look interesting but a bit harder to source locally. Some online bad press about their latest version though.

Reply to
mike

cut plastic pipe just fine, was my experience. No mishaps 10 years later.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

replying to Jim K, Brum wrote: Hep20 worst on market best are poyplumb and speed fit by a mile

Reply to
Brum