Any electronics/Roland keyboard experts here?

I have an E-500 which re-starts itself at will. Sometimes it will do it immediately after first switch-on, then not again for ten minutes or longer, sometimes every minute, sometimes not at all for half an hour. It does not seem heat related, or movement related as it will do it completely on its own without any human intervention!

There is a click from one of the boards and the keyboard switches off and immediately starts itself again, resetting to piano.

I have the back off it now and the click comes from a little orange rectangular component which I assume is a relay but I doubt it's the relay itself which is at fault, rather something else triggering the reset. There is a slightly 'bubbly' sounding hiss coming from, I think, the small transformer on the power board and when the power switch is turned off the hiss rises in tone then stops. If I poke it with a stick the hiss quietens slightly (!) Tapping around the various capacitors and wiggling the many connectors does nothing.

I can take pictures of the boards if it would help identify the components most likely to be at fault.

Any ideas?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Dry joint on the power tranny.

Reply to
RW

I have already re-soldered them once but I didn't have a super solder sucker back then (it's been going on for a while!) so I might do them all again properly. In fact, I'll go and do them right now!

Ta.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I no joy there maybe worth posting a link to the sound you describe.

Reply to
dave

Having sucked all the manky solder off the pins of the transformer yesterday and re-made them, and a few other suspicious-looking connections, it *seems* to be behaving itself, touch plastic.

In a moment of stupidity I put the metal cover back over the power board and put the case back on (around a million screws) before actually switching the keyboard on and listening for the sound after my repairs. I blame 4am starts at work. If it reboots itself at any point I'll take it all to bits again, get the camera on it and post a video somewhere.

Si.

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Fekin part-timers

Reply to
RW

In message , "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes

Take a pic of the PSU board but I bet it's a switch mode type and needs the caps replacing, especially as you mention a hissing noise. Probably a good idea to replace them all in one go, choose higher temperature rating devices.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I *hate* early :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

4am is late, not early ...
Reply to
geoff

It's actually behaving itself at the moment! I had a play earlier and it didn't reset once, which is very unusual. If I get a moment I will take a pic though. I remember making a list of the caps previously but it was such a pain finding them all from the one supplier that I lost interest. Two of them are quite a size and one of the two has a "bubble" on top that can be depressed easily, and which pops back up again.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

In message , "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes

Yeah, it can be. I've spent many hours searching for the correct size and rating capacitors in the Farnell catalogue.

Sounds like a mains smoothing cap, they often have a plastic cover over the top to stop you touching the metal casing as it may be live or become live under fault conditions.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

It reset itself this morning after about 3 minutes playing. Bastard! Pictures later :(

Si.

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot