Any (electronic) valve freaks out there?

In case anyone is interested,. a matched pair of new valves were fitted an hour ago, and all is back to high decibel normal.

I conjecture that the grid probably came loose from its pin...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The normal cause is a grid to cathode short, caused by the cathode coating falling off.

Reply to
Capitol

I guess that's possible. In which case a good shaking might have fixed it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not IME, the clearances are very small and a degree of welding may have taken place. FWIW, I still have an AVO valve tester, which was in working order last time I used it, which is some years ago.

Reply to
Capitol

Pah, cheap. I need to get around to buying a pair of matched quads :(

Reply to
Steve Walker

Blimey that's 200 watts!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Long time ago now since i used bottles but leaky coupling caps were a prime cause of trouble as were leaky cathode bypass electros...

Reply to
tony sayer

95W RMS per channel ... 15W RMS per channel in Class A. Velleman K4000, feeding a pair of Mission 752s.
Reply to
Steve Walker

Neither of those the case here.

1/. The fault moved with the valve, so caps exonerated. 2/. No cathode resistor and bypass in use. Negative grid bias supplied by a rectified part of the heater circuit.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

. Id rather have a fistful of power FETS meself, for hi fi.

Bottles are good for guitars because they distort.

The furthest distance from the original sound, that's the definition of a good rock guitar amp.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which should be considered an instrument in its own right;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Well its PART of an instrument. It is the 'soundboard' of the electric guitar, so to speak.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fair enough, each to his own.

Solid state does too. The difference is that valve distortion has a "nice" sound while silicon doesn't.

:)

Reply to
Steve Walker

Complete rubbish really.

FETS are very similar to valves actually.

The reason transistors sund harsher under overload is because they can have - lacking and output transformer, and being cheap enough to have lots - far more feedback applied than valves, so when they clip, they tend to clip hard, but that's a function of the design, not the silicon.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher