Any electronic gizmo to check if power outage occurred while away?

That's what a million people said about any invention before it caught on.

Reply to
.

And it's still a valid question. The simpler it is, the less likely it is to go wrong. Now please answer the question.

Reply to
Davey

Your solution isn't really a solution, since even after 10 hours it's unlikely that the ice cubes would fall out. And it's no solution at all for the larder fridge, which could become quite warm after only 6 hours.

Reply to
.

How are inventions relevant here?

Reply to
meow2222

Obviously, such a gizmo does not exist yet, therefore I have invented it.

Reply to
.

In message , . writes

A freezer left unopened will be fine for at least 24 hours.

So what? Not really bothered about the fridge warming up. If things go off I'll just bin them.

Reply to
chris French

sure they do

I doubt it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

But how do you know if the power went off, then came back on again several hours later? You come back, everything in the fridge seems hunky dory, but... (cue Jaws soundtrack).

Reply to
.

Then please point me to one! Analogue clocks, ice cubes etc are not meeting my specification.

Is your name Thomas? What would I need to do to convince you?

Reply to
.

In message , . writes

I'm not that bothered if the power has gone off, so don't care about knowing how long for.

I use my own judgement as to the safety of the food I'm eating not rely on dates printed on a packet. so the fact that it might have warmed up for a few hours doesn't really matter.

I don't eat meat - which is the probably main culprit for food poisoning if not properly stored. Though cooking it properly kills out most things, though it won't stop you getting botulism if that has already been growing in the food.

We are careful with rice as we eat a lot of it and Bacillus cereus food poising is a real risk there, So we don't store rice in the fridge for too long - we tend to freeze left over rice.

Reply to
chris French

It seems a relay or RCD and a neon or other lamp does. Those combinations have existed for many years.

What you propose simply doesnt fulfil the definition of invention. You've merely stated what has been obvious for a century or so. Electricity power cuts are still routine in many parts of the world, this stuff isnt news.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Of course it fulfils the definition! The thing obviously does not exist, since I cannot purchase it *today* anywhere (at least, no one has yet pointed me to a supplier). Let me reiterate my design of my new invention:

- Gizmo to perform following tasks - Detect power outages - Record time of power outage(s) and duration(s) - Battery backup (naturally!) - LCD display to read off data - LED to indicate ~any~ power outage (so when you return home you immediate see if any has occurred)

Reply to
.