Any Dremel experts out there ?

Hi Folks Not actual branded Dremel, but one of the clones (from CPC ISTR). I seem to have accumulated a selection of brushes, drill bits & other bits & pieces - and find the 'cut-off disks' very useful when repairing leaded windows (allows you to do delicate surgery on old lead 'came' - which often allows you to do repairs without dismantling the whole panel).

Anyway - the thing to which the cut-off disks fits (?arbour / mandrel?) seems to have stripped its thread, so doesn't hold the cut-off disks any more..

Question is - is there anything better than the bog-standard cut-off disks? (they seem to work fairly well but can clog when cutting lead, are also fairly brittle and can shatter without warning!)

A quick search on eBay shows there are also Dremel 'speed-clic' cutting wheels - has anybody used these, and are they better than the standard cut-off wheels?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I've bought diamond cutting disks for a dremel off eBay before. I used them to cut an access panel in a chassis of ~1.2mm steel. It was slow work, but OK.

HTH Jon N

Reply to
jkn

Dremel mandrels are cheap and easy to get.

They are...although partly it's a matter of technique (I believe; I don't have it!).

I've used the diamond coated metal discs, which are about 15 quid (25 quid at B&Q as I recall). Worked well; I was cutting back wall laths in a confined space, as one application.

I'd recommend this place: fast and efficient:

see they have the SpeedClics; I haven't tried those.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm not surprised the thin abrasive disks clog on lead: I suspect you are actually melting a slot. As you say, you need to be gentle or they break. There are thicker abrasive disks that look like a mesh made of fibreglass, these are far more robust. I have tried cheapie diamond disks from ebay, but not the expensive ones. The cheapies work, but don't last long: the electroplate comes off. I've never had much problem with mandrels.

Reply to
newshound