Any carpet fitters on here, need your expert advice

In the process of choosing underlay for the upstairs of my home, 4 bedrooms, landing and staircase. I think I will be going to Blue Heaven (from the makers of cloud 9). It's like Cloud 9 but without the paper backing as this can sometimes be noisy underfoot.

My quandary is, do I go for 9mm or 11mm? I would like 11mm as this offers greater sound impact reduction and thermal insulation. I have read on other forums that some carpet fitters don't like the 11mm as it is harder to stretch the carpets.

Reply to
Slider

11mm for comfort on your bare feet in the bedrooms and possibly the landing. Stairs take a hammering and the thicker stuff might not be so good there as far as the carpet is concerned, too much movement.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can't see why.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Partly because its harder to get it onto ordinary gripper rods as there is a bigger step down. For thicker underlay you would probably be better off with the longer pin gripper.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hijacking this thread, has anyone got any experience of

any other online underlay/gripper merchants that can be recommended? Ta.

Reply to
Grumps

Screwfix do gripper rods

Reply to
Bob Mannix

If you're still looking:

fred

Ah, so they do. Thanks for the tip. Saves online postage.

Reply to
Grumps

> or

Reply to
Grumps

> or

Fitting underlay onto a wooden floor, do you staple it down? If so, whereabouts?

Reply to
Grumps

In article , Grumps writes

Yes, I did, every 12" round the edge of each length, about 1" in to avoid tearing out.

On the other group, less trafficed than here but perhaps better mannered, I generally direct question posters here for the broader knowledge base. Useful to subscribe to both.

Reply to
fred

Doesthe stapling cause little pits in the underlay?

Reply to
Grumps

Yes - but the carpet is stiff enough to cover those without showing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Seems bit OTT that frequent. The underlay isn't going anywhere once the carpet is down and stretched. But you do need something to stop it moving as you lay and stretch the carpet. I stapled each corner and centre of the width then about the same distance (30" or so) down the length, adjusted to get the spacing equalish.

Very small, not worth worrying about.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can't recall any fitters that we've had in using staples. Maybe they used adhesive or tape instead, or nothing.

Reply to
Grumps

Simple tacks is one way. But if you have a proper stapler that's quicker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have always used staples on wood - the carpet fitter I had recently used spraygrip on the concrete along the edges of the underlay pieces just to hold in place while carpet being laid.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Same here, there is no glue or staples holding the underlay in place. The joints are taped on the top.

Reply to
dennis

>>> or

We just had a new carpet fitted and the fitter just stapled the underlay to the floorboards every 2 to 3 foot. Pretty much how it was done with the old underlay. I know because I went round and pulled all the old staples before we go the carpet laid

Reply to
Alang