Any boiler experts? Numpty seeks help!

is the state of my boiler. It's in a flat that was rented out and this is the first chance I've had to look around.

What's causing the leak? I thought it was condensation at first, but obviously not!

All the pipe joints are dry. I hope it's not one of the welded joints weeping, but don't know what else it could be.

Repairable? Or new boiler?

I've drained it in case it decides to "let go"!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Mark

Reply to
Krycek

There's a wet patch on the wooden platform which the tank is sitting on. But I guess you knew that.

Not entirely sure how you expect anybody to give you any further information eg detect where the water is coming from, based on that picture?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Boiler?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Firstly it's not a boiler, it's a hot water tank with immersion heaters.

Provide better pictures of around the heater element ports (The black parts that have cables attached which go into the tank) if possible look closely for leaks around them.

Hint..... Water will drop to the lowest point (Gravity usually helps here) so don't assume the leak is at the bottom as water being under the influence of gravity will find a way *down* so look *up* at the top and see if there is wetness higher up, then decide what to do with any leak found.

I don't see any boiler there in the picture. There is a hot water cylinder which has a leak. You need to replace it. With constant expansion and contraction the joins do fail after time.

Reply to
Roger

LOL THM.

So not everything people say about you is true then Dave?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It couldn't possibly all be true :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I wouldn't bother with photos: if any leak shows up in a picture you'll see it yourself. It's probably coming from one of the immersion heater bosses, question is which one? And since there's foam all around it, how do you see it? You may have to carefully cut back the foam by a centimetre or so under the bottom half of the immersion boss to see if it's leaking. I'd start with the top one since, even if water is running down from the bottom one it could be dribbling down from the upper one. You will of course have to fill the cylinder up again to see!

Reply to
YAPH