any alternatives to stripping wallpaper?

I'm wondering how to deal with the wallpaper that previous tenants have put up in my living room: on the lower half of the wall, it's ordinary paper, and on the upper half it's anaglypta, painted with matt emulsion. A paper border covers the join between them.

I want a plain, painted wall, but I'm dreading stripping the paper. Even with a steamer, that anaglypta might be difficult.

So is there an alternative to stripping?

I was wondering if a power sander could be used, to sand down the anaglypta and also the joins and the ridge the paper border makes. The anaglypta has quite a shallow pattern - about 2mm.

I was also wondering if I could get a type of paint that's so thick, it could actually disguise the anaglypta, paper edges, etc, and give a smooth finish.

If there's an easy solution, I'd be very grateful if anyone here can tell me - I just hate decorating, and have been putting off this chore for two years!

Reply to
pete

and you think stripping the wall is bad!?

No

Strip, make good, decorate. Stripping shouldn't take long, or decorating. Put the effort into making good. First fill and sand, then blind wall with cheap white, second fill (+third fill) and then decorate.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Stripping with the right tools.

Perf it first with a tortoise-shaped spiked wheel gadget from the DIY sheds - the single wheel one, not the triple wheel.

Then steam it. Wear silicone oven gloves (cheap, Aldi)

Anaglypta (and heavy, plasticky papers in general) steam strips beautifully. The steam gets behind it, then the front peels off in big non-tearing pieces.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Have you thought of demoloshing and rebuilding the wall?

Reply to
Roger Mills

No need for an alternative. The ordinary paper will come off very easily with a steam stripper.

The anaglypta might be easier than you think too. Try a small patch with the steamer. If that is slow to come off, do another trial: Score the anaglypta with the point of a scraper, deep enough to score the paper but not the wall. Then steam that trial patch and see if it comes off more easily.

The more modern blown vinyl "anaglypta" are easier to strip. Just peel away the blown vinyl layer leaving the thin paper layer still on the wall. Then steam (or soak) and strip the paper. Job done.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Bruce

A skim of car body filler.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You can usually just peel it off by hand once you raise an edge here and there. What you're left with can then be soaked with a brush and cold water. I don't perforate or steam unless I really have to. Too much like hard work

Reply to
stuart noble

You really have no alternative to stripping. For this crap get a scraper with a long handle on it. You can grip it with both hands and it makes life easier.

Reply to
EricP

I have to agree with this post. Cold water is all that is required, and a good squirt of washing up liquid mixed in will keep the water on the surface of the paper for longer, making it quicker to soak.

Reply to
Phil L

Methods I have used to remove crap paper are-

- Using water + dab of washing up liquid. Score paper using a nail/nail poking slightly out a piece of wood wet wall thoroughly. Have cup of tea. Wet wall again. Have another cup of tea. Wet wall. Toilet. Wet wall. Scrape away paper. This was emulsioned anaglypta and vinyl paper. Obviously you can do other DIY work, instead of the cups of tea whilst the paper soak.

- Using wall paper stripper fluid. This works really well on absorbent paper, appears to break the paste bonding and paper just peels off in one piece.

Reply to
Ian_m

I like to remove a 200mm swathe at the top, after which one brush swipe along the top edge delivers enough water to soak the next 200mm. Heavy duty scraper absolutely essential IMO. Turning it over every few seconds keeps the blade honed to perfection.

Reply to
stuart noble

Why? Anaglypta's usually easy to strip. Be grateful it's not woodchip. Now that can be a bugger.

Reply to
Will

I use this for ridding my walls of acres of woodchip (which happened to be covering about six layers of paper going back to circa 1905):

gimmicky, but in fact it worked a treat for me.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

1905):
Looks gimmicky, but in fact it worked a treat for me.

PS I notice since I bought mine that they have rather expanded the range. All I bought were the fabric strips which you soak and which then stick to the paper and saturate it (which are now thirteen quid). I bought a paper tiger from my local DIY place which has the toothed wheels to score the paper, and I think I just used washing-up liquid to help the water soak the paper better.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Just a short note to thank everyone here for taking the trouble to advise me. I really appreciate it.

Reply to
pete