Any alarm wizards ?

Just bought a house (yay!) and it has what looks like an Optima panel (not had a real good look at it yet) with remote keypad.

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I don't have a code for the alarm etc.

Is there a way to reset most alarms within the panel itself, i.e. by putting a link across a couple of terminals ? (sure, it might ring like a biatch for a while, but if I could reset / recode the bugger...)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

On my old one you just power it down totally - ie remove the internal battery.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

I got some very good help a few months back with a problem like this over on alt.security.alarms

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks - i'll have to confirm what type of panel it is first I think :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Several people are trying to resurect interest in uk.tech.electrconic-security, so you could give them a chance too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Colin Wilson writes

Had a very similar problem when I moved into this flat. The panel is an Optima XM. I just googled the instructions and they told me how to reset the user code.

If your panel's an XM I can forward the instructions - just drop me an email.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I sympathise - we had the same prob (& still do) - nice alarm with all sorts of remote sensors, hooks up to the phone line, monitors the smoke detectors too etc. but we don't know the code and it rings like a bastard every time we accidentally set a smoke alarm off :-)

Reply to
Jules

What alarm?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

From what I can tell, the alarm in this house has been out of commission for some time, although some basics still appear to work (it chirps when you restore power) - but the windows are all double glazed, and have sensors that would have originally been on a wooden frame dangling down...

Considering at least one of the glazed units is now of an age by which it appears to have failed, it's not been "on" for a considerable length of time.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Wouldn't it be worth getting a man in? Unless of course it's a rental one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmm, I had a quick look and it just says "Simon" on the case; no obvious model number or data plate. It's been on the to-do list to take it down and investigate for nearly a year now... maybe I'll motivate myself in the next few days :-)

It's all owned by us rather than the security company, but the fees for having all the remote monitoring activated were high enough that we've never bothered. Be nice to change the code though just so we can quieten it whenever we accidentally set it off via the smoke alarms...

(I suppose I could just disconnect it from the AC supply and let its internal battery gradually go flat)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules