Antifreeze Q

I have an almost full 5L container of "CarPlan All Season Antifreeze concentrate." ASA 005 This is a number of years old ... but container has been sealed at all times ... inside it is still the translucent yellow colour. When mixed with correct volume of water the stuff is Blue at 25-30% and Green at to 50% .... although I will use a Hydrometer.

Couple of Q's ......

# As this is ethylene glycol product, I'm sort of assuming it will not 'degrade' at worst some will have evaporated off ... but not much .... so any reason why it should not still be used. (I know toxic issues with EG)

# I will need to also buy some extra concentrate .. can you still get 'yellow' concentrate ?

I see BSA 005 on sale .... is this compatibel with ASA 005 ??

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Should be OK, it usually "goes off" when exposed to heat and oxygen; it turns acidic which causes corrosion of the engine. If in doubt, check with litmus paper.

Haven't got the foggiest.

Reply to
Onetap

In message , Rick Hughes writes

You could ask on here. I've found them very helpful

bert

Methanol is the relatively toxic antifreeze, not EG

NT

Reply to
meow2222

no it isnt.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oral LD50 methanol 0.4g/kg Oral LD50 ethylene glycol 4.7g (rat) 5.5g(mouse)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No, it is not.

WTF is the matter with you? Why the obsessive compulsion to post about things you know nothing about? Have you put that is the Wiki thing?

Automotive antifreeze is almost always ethylene glycol. It is very toxic an d has a sweet taste.

Antifreeze used in domestic heating systems is propylene glycol which is no n-toxic; there is a risk of contaminating the DCWS through a leaking cylind er coil. It is used as a sweetener in the food industry, so sweet it would put your teeth on edge, apparently. This is the stuff that was being used to adulterate wine a decade or so back.

Methanol was used as anti-freeze, before the glycols became commonly avai lable. It isn't used now because of the hazards (volatile liquid) and the c ost.

Reply to
Onetap

Ethylene glycol LD50 Acute: 4700 mg/kg [Rat]. 5500 mg/kg [Mouse].

It's has a particular risk since animals will drink any spillage due to the sweet taste and in freezing weather conditions, it will be the only liquid that doesn't freeze.

The antidote for both ethylene glycol and methanol poisoning is alcohol, an ethanol drip usually ISTR.

Reply to
Onetap

Its not VERY toxic but it causes death because it tastes nice.

some cars use that as well.

glycol also raises the boiling point of water which is handy in high performance radiators.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is that methanol LD50 for humans or rodents? What is EG LD50 for humans?

Reply to
polygonum

I thought a very small glass or so would see you out, but have never felt the urge to try it.

Methanol would probably blind you before it killed you. I think the digestion process turns it into formic acid which attackes the optic nerves. I'm not a chemist and don't claim any knowledge of the chemistry.

I think it's also why poor quality whiskey was called red eye. Distillation at the rcorrectly measured temperatures will separate the ethanol and methanol.

Apple jack used to be made in the US by freezing barrels of cider outdoors in winter. The ice was removed and the liquid remaining contained most of the alcohol. They stopped using that method because it concentrated both the ethanol and methanol.

You still see 'freeze distillation' recommended on the interent for making home brew whisky.

Reply to
Onetap

Any volunteers?

Reply to
Onetap

methanol in the mix is I think due to a wrong yeast type..mm. Apparently not. Not sure what is on 'bad whiskey' but it may well be not methanol at all but nasty esters and so on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and has a sweet taste.

non-toxic; there is a risk of contaminating the DCWS through a leaking cyli nder coil. It is used as a sweetener in the food industry, so sweet it wou ld put your teeth on edge, apparently. This is the stuff that was being use d to adulterate wine a decade or so back.

ailable. It isn't used now because of the hazards (volatile liquid) and the cost.

Lets see what the UK Health Protection Agency has to say

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In article , Onetap writes

For info, EG sold for that purpose in the EU is required have an embittering agent added to discourage consumption by animals and humans so in practice the risks are mitigated.

Reply to
fred

But not very effective, according to some of the posters on this thread;

I'd assume they're mostly in the USA, hence the query why there isn't a legal requirement to add embittering agent.

Reply to
Onetap

Not sure of the origins of the posts, quite a bit of British English in use but refs to USA and one from Sweden who mentions the use of embittering agents in his locale.

When I looked at this before I thought that the BS/EN specs for the product had been modified to include bittering agents but now I'm not so sure. A quick search shows people in the UK still floating petitions to make the inclusion compulsory so I assume it has not made it to statute yet.

Reply to
fred

Cats will not drink it :-(

Reply to
Mr Pounder

There are plenty of home brew wine makers, who will do this to increase alcohol content of the wine

Reply to
Rick Hughes