anti-freeze setting on radiator

I've got a snow flake symbol on my radiator which presumably prevents freezing of the water in the radiator. When the boiler powers up, the radiator gives out maximum heat and after a while completely shuts off. How does it work?

Reply to
blackhead

Andy Burns

The snowflake indicates cold, whereas the numbers after it (1 to 5) indicate heat settings, 1 being the lowest and 5 the highest, instead of this, they were going to paint on small flames, gradually increasing them to large flames as heat indicators but decided against it in case some people tried to light their radiators thinking the flames were an instruction rather than a guide.

Reply to
Phil L

No, it prevents the room dropping to the temperature where any water in it will freeze (not just the radiator). It's frost protection for the room, not just the rad.

Getting the room up to frost protection temperature. Bearing in mind that some parts of the room will likely be colder than the TRV, the frost protection temperature will probably be quite a bit above zero.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel