Antex soldering iron.

My father used to call his a soldering bolt. Heated it up on the gas cooker. Don't think it was used again when we went electric. ;-)

Baker's soldering fluid and bar solder.

How times have changed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thinking on, I think I meant Solon.

I've still got one - resides in the bottom of the toolbox I'd take to a 'job', as a 'just in case'. Tough enough to survive being there. The original bits got loose in the holder as they wear, IIRC. But is pretty well just a length of copper rod.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bit late for that I'd start with a summer kit or perhaps even an autumn kit ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

yeah could cost you a small fortune at 9k a year and that's without accomodation. You should have given her an apron and oven glove set. :)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Just to continue the uk diy tradition of thread drift, I ordered up some zeners and heat shrink sleeving at the same time as the Antex irons.

The zeners were 3p each, or 2p 50+. So decided on 50. Being an Aberdonian.

They arrived individually wrapped in those little plastic bags - each one printed with details of the part. Took me ages to cut them all out and put them in a single bag to fit in my nest of drawers.

The heat shrink - 2.4mm stuff that I use quite a bit of - came on a drum.

12" in in diameter and 1" wide. So won't fit my cable rack. ;-)
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nay lad it costs her so I understand;!...

Ooooh you sexist piggy;!....

Reply to
tony sayer

Have an Antex now around 30 yrs old .... working fine, and mains cable still as inflexible as when new ... why they put really inflexible pvc cable is silly.

I have had 2 temperature controlled RS irons ... burnt out in only a couple of years.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

and if it melts then you need to wait 1-2 months for a replacement!

If anyone knows of another source of small (sub 5mm overall diameter) silicone insulated cable using 0.25mm^2 conductors, at least four core and preferably five core then I'd be interested.

Reply to
The Other Mike

To make it better value. Dunno about them but most for ages have been available with a very flexible silicone rubber lead at extra cost. Of course wherever you bought it from might not have stocked them. But it's and easy job to change the cable anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)